Fence Stain and Nearby Hives

Default Fence Stain and Nearby Hives

Hi folks,

My 2 deeps are stationed near a couple of fences in my side yard. This morning we had someone stain the fences. Late last night I had screened the entrances and moved the hives about 20 feet away. After he completed the stain I moved them back and opened them up.

I'm concerned that the lingering stain fumes may have a negative effect on the bees. While the cloud of fumes is long gone, the smell is still pretty strong. Will this have a negative impact on the bees or am I ok leaving them as-is?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Fence Stain and Nearby Hives

Probably OK, but I would keep them back from the fence until the smell abates.

Quote Originally Posted by volare71 View Post
    Probably OK, but I would keep them back from the fence until the smell abates.
    Thanks. I have them a few feet from where they originally were (right next to the fence). I could move them another 10 feet or so to the grass but wouldn't that mess with their orientation? I've read you shouldn't move them more than a few feet.

What do you think?

If you move them more than 3 feet you will have to seuester them for 72 hours and put some leaves in front of the entrance before you open them up. That way they will re-orient.
    I would leave them alone if they are finding their home.

I wouldn't even think about it. I've hived packages on freshly stained stands. Unless they are living in the fumes it's not a concern. Sometimes we over think things.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I highly doubt it will be a problem. I have stained my fence 3 feet from the hives and painted the garage 8 feet from the hive with no problem. Well, one person painting did get stung but that was the only loss.