Harvesting partially capped frames from empty hive

Default Harvesting partially capped frames from empty hive

Hi,

This is my first year beekeeping and my bees did not make it through the winter : ( We believe it was a matter of a wet hive.

We want to harvest the honey that was left - some frames are full while other are only partially capped. I want to remove all of the honey as we no longer have bees we can return it to -- and it won't be until next season that we try again.

Is there a way to harvest these partially capped frames? Is there a reason why I should NOT put them in an extractor?

Please advise - thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Harvesting partially capped frames from empty hive

Take the frames and do not uncap the capped honey, Spin out all the uncapped honey from every frame. this is not honey but nectar in various stages of dehydration. remove the nectar from the extractor and rinse it out then dry it. discard the nectar. Now you can uncap the honey and extract it. this will not be saleable honey, but you can use it.
    Be sure to place the boxes outside so local bees can clean up the frames. then mist them with BT before storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    Take the frames and do not uncap the capped honey, Spin out all the uncapped honey from every frame. this is not honey but nectar in various stages of dehydration. remove the nectar from the extractor and rinse it out then dry it. discard the nectar. Now you can uncap the honey and extract it. this will not be saleable honey, but you can use it.
    Be sure to place the boxes outside so local bees can clean up the frames. then mist them with BT before storage.
    It's late, my brain no worky. What is "BT"?

BT is a pesticide designed to kill wax moth eggs on drawn frames. It's full name is Bacillus thuringiensis. I believe you want the Israeli strain for use in bee hives not the one that is commonly for sale at garden centers for killing garden bugs.

Personally I don't use it, I just put combs in the freezer to kill the wax moth eggs and then store them where the moths can't get at them. But many beekeepers do treat with BT instead.

Enj.

Ok thanks.

You want the Aizwai Strain.

Bacillus Thuringensis, Aizwai (BT,A)

Xentari, Manufactured By Valant BioSciences.

Mix 4 tsp to a gallon of water.

Thank you all so much!