question (i'm fascinated, but clueless)

Default question (i'm fascinated, but clueless)

All seems settled doen now but my TBH had an interesting start...

I installed a pacjkage to a hive and they promply left, only to show up the next day in an (unfinished) hive a few feet away on the next day. As the hive the hive they picked was unfinished and not near level,I moved them back to the original hive.

I was so excited and distracted moving them, I stupidly put the bars in the same place when I transfered them - in the back of the hive

The bees are now drawing comb madly - all straight and right along the V cut into the top bars. the (potentail) problem is that there is no follower board in the hive so they have about 42" of space... and they keeping building, and the queen keeps laying at the back of the hive, furthest from the entrance.

Any thoughts or commentson moving the drawn comb, eggs and such up towards the entrance and adding a follower board? Or should I just leave them alone and see what happens?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: question (i'm fascinated, but clueless)

I would put a bar not drawn yet closest to the entrance, and move what they've started so far up to it, and put a few frames after them and put in the follower board. They should stay put now since there is brood production. You are in Alabama and I've heard there is a strong nectar flow on at the moment there. Keep a watch on them and keep a few undrawn bars between them and the follower board so that they don't run out of room.

If they are keeping it straight I would just let them be.

Yes it may be just leave them alone, add bars as needed, they liked it and stayed this time in that configuration. What I may think the bees would prefer is not always what the bees themselves would like best huh? And for this situation, it would not matter to me the beekeeper. It's just that I was thinking they may guard the hive better if they were at the entrance end instead of the back, but I may not see all the angles of it the way bees might.