Pretty disappointed in the nucs I bought - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Pretty disappointed in the nucs I bought

All of our advertise is done on Craigslist and throw repeat business. We keep 20 or so nucs at the house so if a customer wants one we have them at our leisure. We ask customers to come to the house in the early evening when the bees are settling down and we go through it with them. They like the opportunity to learn and I like the opportunity to teach. This also gives us both the chance to be reassured that they are happy with what their getting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by beesohappy View Post
    All of our advertise is done on Craigslist and throw repeat business. We keep 20 or so nucs at the house so if a customer wants one we have them at our leisure. We ask customers to come to the house in the early evening when the bees are settling down and we go through it with them. They like the opportunity to learn and I like the opportunity to teach. This also gives us both the chance to be reassured that they are happy with what their getting.
    and that is how you sell nucs.
    David Matlock

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    as a start, and then become self sustaining by making your own splits asap.
    Squarepeg's my mentor. That means he's taught me everything he knows. : )
    David Matlock

Quote Originally Posted by Riverderwent View Post
    Bee club or Craigslist.
    A bee club is a good place to start but if your serious about bees you can quickly outgrow them if they are stuck in beginner mode. We had to start a new group that is into growing queens making nucs and keeping bees alive. It's very informal no money changes hands we meet at each other's homes or bee yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    It is a very regional practice to be able to go through nucs. I've been keeping bees for 16 years and I've yet to myself or hear of someone local have the opportunity to go through them at the time of purchase. But then what is called nucs elsewhere and what we call nucs here are different too. In CA, I'd guess that what you call a nuc, I'd call a split. Nucs here are made up at least a month in advance of sale, so that what there is for eggs & capped brood are offspring of the new queen.
    Yep, I have always bought my nucs from Lincoln Sennett (Swan's Honey, Albion) and that's the way they have always come- packed with 4 frames of [capped and open] brood, 1 honey and a *proven* laying queen.

I would be screaming mad if I bought a nuc from someone and got what the OP got. Hardly any brood, no eggs and queen cage still in the box? I would for sure be feeling like I had been ripped off and I would want my money back. Maybe I'm spoiled from dealing with someone like Lincoln- he's always been great to deal with and learn from, offered to let me come and work with him to learn more, and even went out of his way to do me a personal favor that resulted in me getting a job after being out of work for two years. Anyone I talk to around here, that wants to learn about bees or buy bees, I send them to him.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

as a start, and then become self sustaining by making your own splits asap.
    That's the goal!

swarm trapping is another good way to fill slots in the beeyard bb, best of luck to you.

I've received calls from 3 different people in the past 10 days who bought packages from IFA. In all three cases the queen was not in her cage. It appears that whoever made up these packages doesn't know to cork the hole and supply a candy plug that can be swapped when the package is installed. Last year IFA was selling assembled frames that were not built properly. I took photos and let their main office know about it and they never responded. I get the feeling that they're simply cashing in on hobbyist demand without any expertise in house.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

p.s.
    Those things people sell that aren't packages and aren't nucs are called "nucages".
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    p.s.
    Those things people sell that aren't packages and aren't nucs are called "nucages".
    Nucages... that's the perfect description. I had heard from a few local people who I thought were in the know, that IFA was supposed to be working with a reputable local beekeeper but it sounds like from what you've heard they aren't. I guess I've learned my lesson from this..

Quote Originally Posted by beaglebee View Post
    Intermountain Farmers Association via Slide Ridge Apiary in Logan Utah. I plan on announcing at my next beekeeper association meeting too
    I'll be interested in hearing what their response will be, hopefully they will make it right. As Oldtimer mentioned, there could be internal problems that the responsible parties are not aware of. If it were my business I would want to know about it, and make adjustments to correct it.

It's up to them now. They will either end up with a black eye, or experience some positive advertisement if they do what's right. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and allow them a little time to respond to a complaint. Just show them the courtesy of posting positive results if they take care of you. If you are ignored .. all bets are off.
    To everything there is a season....

swarm trapping is another good way to fill slots in the beeyard bb, best of luck to you.
    I have a pretty good lead on a place to trap a good swarm this year. My father-in-law manages a condo complex with a well established ferral hive that casts off several swarms a year. I've got up some traps and he said he would call if there were any swarms. He only mentioned it recently... wish he had mentioned it sooner! Thanks for your well wishes

Quote Originally Posted by beesohappy View Post
    I met somebody who did this last year, I bought a replacement queen off of him.. I went to the yard, he pulled her from her hive right in front of me and showed me she was laying....he disappeared later and my number for him stopped working. Craigslist or other classifieds haven't offered up much recently. I wish I had a connection like you, I'd be a very loyal customer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    I'll be interested in hearing what their response will be, hopefully they will make it right. As Oldtimer mentioned, there could be internal problems that the responsible parties are not aware of. If it were my business I would want to know about it, and make adjustments to correct it.

It's up to them now. They will either end up with a black eye, or experience some positive advertisement if they do what's right. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and allow them a little time to respond to a complaint. Just show them the courtesy of posting positive results if they take care of you. If you are ignored .. all bets are off.
    I will update. I'm expecting to hear back on Monday. I really just want my bees. At this point I'd be happy(ish) if they would promise me a replacement queen if the queens turn out to be duds, at least it would show they care about their customers. I appreciate good customer service and do my best to be a good customer (repeat business and good word of mouth).

Quote Originally Posted by beaglebee View Post
    I will update. I'm expecting to hear back on Monday. I really just want my bees. At this point I'd be happy(ish) if they would promise me a replacement queen if the queens turn out to be duds, at least it would show they care about their customers. I appreciate good customer service and do my best to be a good customer (repeat business and good word of mouth).
    If you are targeting a replacement queen only you likely will have build up issues. You really need that four frames of brood and a laying queen for them to take off. I would want to go for an over wintered nuc that is operational on five frames and has proven the ability to survive a winter. Those seem to work out well particularly when you position a five frame super over them and let them build up. They get to ten frame size quickly.

Ive read through most replies. And I say, yes, you may lose 100 bees from inspecting on site before purchasing them, but isnt that better than not getting 4000 larvae, and not know it till you get home?

All my nucs, have more than 5 frames to choose from. Me and customer choose together what 5 frames they get. No worries over foragers as the frames we choose are covered in bees.

I also read someone say, they opened a nuc up and bees exploded out, yes, that happens when they are locked in for a while, not upon regular inspect, when they are free.
    www.facebook.com/hives2honey Oxalic Vaporizers, supplement and more!!!!!! Check me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    p.s.
    I thought they were called "pucs"!

Quote Originally Posted by BadBeeKeeper View Post
    Yep, I have always bought my nucs from Lincoln Sennett (Swan's Honey, Albion) and that's the way they have always come- packed with 4 frames of [capped and open] brood, 1 honey and a *proven* laying queen.

I would be screaming mad if I bought a nuc from someone and got what the OP got. Hardly any brood, no eggs and queen cage still in the box? I would for sure be feeling like I had been ripped off and I would want my money back. Maybe I'm spoiled from dealing with someone like Lincoln- he's always been great to deal with and learn from, offered to let me come and work with him to learn more, and even went out of his way to do me a personal favor that resulted in me getting a job after being out of work for two years. Anyone I talk to around here, that wants to learn about bees or buy bees, I send them to him.
    He is a good Guy. Although I have never bought anything from him, I have talked with him on numerous occasions and he is more than willing to share his knowledge. As to the OP, we encourage people to pick up Nucs from us and and bring their equipment. I like to transfer into their equipment so that people see what they are getting. We sell both overwintered Nucs and Nucs made up in the Spring. The only difference is the age of the Queen and obviously the overwintered Nucs have made it through a winter.

Beagle, IFA is catering to the lucrative hobbyist market. They charge exorbitant prices for inferior product. CAL-Ranch does the same thing. You will find good local sources for nucs, packages and queens on KSL.com.

Quote Originally Posted by missybee View Post
    If you open to inspect, the workers take off. Every nuc I have bought has come in a closed box, not opened until we install it. If you inspect you almost need to wait until the next day to pick them up.
    Not how that are done in our area/region. Bought 3 nucs last year and another 3 this year. Each time I picked them up mid-morning and the sellers and I when through some 10 frame deeps and a couple of times "double deeps" and I received at least 3 frames full of capped brood and one each of egg, larva, a bit of capped brood, pollen, and one of honey. Lots and lots of nurse bees, made sure we saw the queen and then both times the sellers shook in lots more bees before we buttoned-up the hive for the trip home.
    Last edited by Groundhwg; 05-01-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast