Here's a picture of my latest build.
We recently removed about 40 of 60 apricot trees from our lot, in order to make space for a shop, which we will build sometime eventually. Apricot can be some really beautiful wood so I have saved a lot of it, mostly to turn on a lathe. But I needed to replace a previous observation hive and put this one together using wood from the orchard. I don't have a mill, so I used my chainsaw to cut the logs into manageable size hunks, then used my tablesaw to re-saw into nice square boards. After doing all the cut-down work, I didn't have anything wide wnough to serve as a base, so I decided to slice another log and go for the rustic look. I am pretty excited about how it turned out. I finished just in time for a "farm-to-school" program, so I haven't had time to put any finish on it, but probably will rum some tung oil into it as soon as I get chance.