Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Building a skep

10K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  gww 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Thanks AR1.
The first video is from 1961, still, these skep apiaries exist! Isn´t it nice how these old gentlemen work patiently?

My mentor who builds skeps and me and some guys of my group plan a workshop in fall, they already started the rye planting and I´m harvesting blackberry and willow to weave with.
The best time we will have with the cow dung!
:D

#8 ·
@SiWolKe
My thanks for this info on Skeps as an excellent source of tuition for
the trainee beekeeper. I shall be putting these to good use in my work among local beekeepers.
Thankyou ;-)

@gww
On top of the two links SW provides I found this demonstration of swarm management which also holds requeening methods.
Forget it is a Skep outyard and apply the info as a beekeeper and there is
many a question answered in this video;
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S8i-Rf6_caU

And for others... just remember these bees are of the original dark european line, reputedly inclined to be more than a bit antsy. Watch these guys work and your own confidence should build in leaps and bounds!

Bill

#9 ·
Bill
I had not seen this vidio yet. Very good. I did notice the color of the queens being very black compared to most of mine with thier orange tail. It did look like his hands were swollen and that there may have been a stinger or two but over all the bees were not mobbing him.
Got to go for now.
Thanks
gww

#13 · (Edited)
No longer required to turn a buck from BK'ng I can indulge myself in
play, I am tempted to build a couple from blown urathane to check out what essentially is "small hive beekeeping". Lightweight and wholly recyclable as an operation, it amazes me this practice was in place long after Langs became "the benchmark".
Having believed I had studied all the hive options available for large colonies it has been an eyeopener and a pleasure to discover somewhere in a wood folks were achieving the same outcomes using craft and bee skills adapted to multiples of colonies good for maybe 2kgs of honey per colony per harvest.

Bill

--
(edit new info)
.... good for maybe 15kgs of honey per colony per harvest.

[source] https://av.tib.eu/media/14378

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.