Adding package to mostly dead hive?

Default Adding package to mostly dead hive?

Hi.. I have a hive that barely survive the winter. No brood. Cannot find a queen but there are a few hundred bees that are bringing in pollen. Still some honey in the hive.

I don't think it's worth introducing just a queen, correct? So I was going to install a new package in the hive. Do I need to be concerned about the old bees attacking the queen.. I'll leave her in the queen cage and let the bees release her. And do I need to be concerned about the old bees and the new ones fighting?

By the way, no sign of disease. I believe the queen failed. Thanks for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Adding package to mostly dead hive?

Following...

Are you absolutely positive there is no brood of any kind? As a general rule, if you have no brood, no pollen will be brought in as that's what they use to feed the brood. If you have pollen coming in, generally you have brood. That's not to say you have a queen necessarily. You could still have a laying worker laying drone brood which will be fed with the incoming pollen.

If there are laying workers in the hive then they will kill the new queen. Best to set the package in a new hive if you have equipments. If you don't have extra hive equipments then I would just shack the bees from the dying hive 100 feet from the original hive location and reuse the hive equipments to setup the package.