Plasticell vs Acorn foundation

Default Plasticell vs Acorn foundation

Preferences or opinions? I keep reading rave reviews about Acorn. I have 20 frames with Plasticell on my hives now. First year with them, so I don't know if I can rate them yet.

I need 40-50 sheets of foundation ASAP for the upcoming flow. I am slightly closer to a Dadant that carries plasticell than a supplier with Acorn.

Which would you choose?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Plasticell vs Acorn foundation

Whatever plastic it's got to have wax, lots of wax, for them to jump on it and pull it right the first time. Plasticell gave me fits until I paintbrushed more wax on now it's like championship stuff.

I've never really had trouble getting plastic pulled out.

I hear nothing but great things about Acorn. I have all different kinds and it's all worked.

I have mostly Rite-Cell and I have been happy.

I am a big Acorn fan. I got some brand new Ritecell in a frame swap a month or so ago and I put it in a hive along side a few frames of Acorn. Wanna guess which one they pulled first and which brand is still being ignored? I'm going to have to put more wax on the Ritecell to get it drawn.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

I'm a huge fan of Acorn. I have 200 frames waiting to go into boxes and 100 sheets waiting to go into frames. This is the 3rd year using Acorn and it's proven it's self to me.

I put 5 packages each on, acorn, ML rite cell, & ML rite cell quick draw, ML rite cell that I added wax to.
    All in all the acorn is drawn faster but not by much. One interesting thing is the acorn "looks" like it's faster. I believe this is because it is black and the new wax really shows up.
    The fastest of the 20 is one of the five on regular rite cell.
    In the end I guess it just depends on the package.

I also use 3 frame mating nucs. One of the three frames is new foundation. I recently used acorn, as the third frame in a couple dozen. When I went to check for laying queens I was impressed with how much they had drawn on the acorn. BUT, I did notice if you lay it in the sun for more that a few minutes the wax was melting. That's in April.

In the end I decided the price difference wasn't worth it an will stick with ML rite cell.
    " Every apiary starts with the first hive"

I have used it all and prefer "ACORN" + Nick is a GREAT person to deal with
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I concur with honeyman, nick is a great guy and acorn foundations are great.

Thanks everyone! I went with Acorn!

You'll be nothing but happy with it! I've tried everything I can get my hands on and Acorn definitely has the best foundation. Compared to ML rite-cell (and other brands) there's a lot less sideways burr comb building and the bees actually want to draw the frames out. Nick is also a great guy and willing to work with you. Only downside is he dosent seem to reply to emails. Best to call him if you want a quick response.

Acorn... hands down.

StacieM, I know you already stated what you chose but I will chime in with another vote for Acorn as well. My first experience with another brand was a disaster. My bees would build everywhere but on the foundation. It convinced me to go foundationless for a couple of years. I was talked into trying Acorn 2 years ago and am very happy I did. The bees love Acorn foundation.