Fire ants on the march

Angry Fire ants on the march

Here in central Arizona we have some huge anthills. The red fire ants attacked one of my hives yesterday and I had to set the pallet up on pipe legs with cans of used motor oil at the feet. that stopped the ants on that hive.

This morning the ants were on another hive some ten feet away. I placed pie pans under the legs and brushed several hundred bees off the hive. Unfortunately, the legs of this hive stand are 6X6 posts. I think I will have to redo this hive stand with pipe legs in cans of oil.

Every day is a new challange.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Fire ants on the march

Similar circumstance but on fruit trees. I have several fruit trees in my yard that the ants invade very heavily. I've even seen them farming aphids to do their work for them. They virtually ruined any chances I had at any fruit last year. Today I put on some stuff called tanglefoot. I am impressed so far. Tanglefoot is a real sticky type paste that you rub on the tree as a barrier that they ants cannot cross. If they do they get stuck in the tanglefoot. I bought mine on Amazon but have seen it at menards before. First I wrapped about an eight to ten inch section of the tree with nonsticky vinyl flagging tape like a surveyor might use on ground stakes. Then apply the tangle foot product on the vinyl tape. There were ants trying to go up and down the tree but could not and would not go through the tangle foot. You could see ants that were wanting down the tree actually jumping off the tree to get down. I seen videos on YouTube using it also. I think you can also use it to make traps for deer flies too. Just not sure if the bees will get in it also. They will not be able to get out of it either.

Default Re: Fire ants on the march

I'm familiar with tanglefoot. Not a bad idea.

BTW cinnamon does nothing to these fire ants.