Natural Apiary ventilated bee jacket, heads up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Natural Apiary ventilated bee jacket, heads up

My 4 year old ventilated jacket was hanging on by it's last thread. With the occurrence of AFB in 3 of my hives, I took the opportunity to get another jacket. I burned my old one Friday night while I burned my hives. I needed a new jacket ASAP so I headed to Amazon.com since I have a Prime membership. The Natural Apiary ventilated jacket was listed as a Prime item so I could get it today. The weather was supposed to be cold yesterday and cool today so the jacket arriving today was perfect timing for me to dive back in my hives tomorrow.

I'm a pretty big ol boy. I wear a XXL shirt, and my old jacket was a 3X, so after consulting NA's sizing chart listed on Amazon, I went with the 3X again. When the box arrived, I thought it looked pretty small for a jacket that large. I was busy so I didn't open it until a few minutes ago. With the small box, imagine my surprise when the jacket ended up only filling half of it! I took the jacket out and immediately knew there was no way under the sun that this jacket was going to fit me. I don't mean it's a little small, I mean it's the size of an adult Medium T-shirt. The jacket is marked 3XL. It wasn't a shipping mistake. My 14 year old son is built like a fence post and wears and adult medium shirt and this jacket is no larger than one of his shirts.

So, now I've got to send it back, which is no real hassle, but more importantly I'm now 2 days later in ordering one from a reputable dealer.

I called Golden Bee Saturday evening to see if she had any 3X jackets in stock and she didn't. She said she was about 2 weeks behind on making jackets. I'm not sure how long it would take to get an Ultra Breeze from ML. I'm guessing at least a week. Dang it!
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Natural Apiary ventilated bee jacket, heads up

Brad, your luck runs about like mine sometimes. There are days when it doesnt pay to get out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by mhpsau View Post
    your luck
    Glad someone noticed.

I would stay in the bed some mornings, but I'm afraid the roof would fall in on me.

So I walked to the top of the mountain to consult with the guru. I told him of my life, and my problems. At the end he said "smile, things could get worse". So I smiled, and sure enough, things got worse.
    Bill

I've got an Ultrabreeze beesuit. I've been super happy with it.
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Amazon sells ultra breeze jackets. Thinking it may be a knot off I contacted ultrabreeze and ask. They replied that their suits and jackets are sold on Amazon also. I wear a XL shirt so I got a XXL jacket plenty of room.

Ultra Breeze.

I just ran across some 'River Guide Shirts' at a local SAMS. Long sleeve, ventilated and very light weight. These are the type of shirts I carry to the beeyard year round. When the weather is cool I have a shirt on underneath and when it's hot I wear it by itself. $15 yesterday. I bought two. I have half a dozen of the same style...can wash and dry so that they don't accumulate stink. Outfits like Columbia sell them for about $50. Knock offs run $25. The ones from SAMS were a bargain.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

The photo shows a short sleeve but it comes as a long sleeve too. I bought the yellow.
    https://www.samsclub.com/sams/habit-...lp:product:1:2
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Well, at least you'll get to give a rating on your purchase...
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

The Ultra Breeze people were pretty quick shipping mine last year. I only take a large size so not sure about the 3x.

Brad, Go to Lookout Mountain Honey bees (256) 523-4767 in Gadsden, AL. They have ventilated jackets in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by RBRamsey View Post
    Brad, Go to Lookout Mountain Honey bees (256) 523-4767 in Gadsden, AL. They have ventilated jackets in stock.
    No thanks.

Ultrabreeze. I also wear the 3x. It did not fit. Turns out my torso is longer than normal humans so I really need a tall size with 2" extra in length of arms and chest before the pants part. Guess what? I called, explained, sent a picture and they seamed up something special for me with those extra inches. It fits beautifully. Decades ago, running around quantico a sargent thought I should quit all this college stuff that I had the perfect size (ape like) to carry the 50.

I have the jacket xx and its to big but it was a gift sooo
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I would also add that Ultra Breeze invented the ventilated bee suit, they make an excellent product, and they also are super good people to work with. Accordingly, us beekeepers should support them, rather than the copycats.

JMHO
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    I would also add that Ultra Breeze invented the ventilated bee suit, they make an excellent product, and they also are super good people to work with. Accordingly, us beekeepers should support them, rather than the copycats.

JMHO
    That's not the story I got from Golden Bee. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right, I'm just posting what I was told by the founders daughter who now owns the home based company. The founder of Golden Bee was supposedly awarded a patent for the 3 layer style beekeeping fabric.

One thing about utrabreeze , if you burn a big hole in your veil you can order a replacement that fits and is exactly like the original. Most of the imported knock offs you can't get the same veil that came with it. Some you can't get a veil at all.

oops . . double post
    Last edited by shinbone; 04-27-2017 at 09:26 AM.
    --shinbone

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    The founder of Golden Bee was supposedly awarded a patent for the 3 layer style beekeeping fabric.
    That is correct. I bought mine from Golden Bee several years ago, before the Ultra Breeze jackets were on the market. They are very well made suits, still using mine today and very happy with it.

The only negative thing I would have to say is that the waiting time can be an issue, don't order from them if you're in a hurry. When I placed my order I was told it would be a couple weeks, but it ended up taking months to get the jacket. It was a nice Christmas present, but I was expecting it in the Fall.
    To everything there is a season....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast