Grape press for cappings?

Default Grape press for cappings?

Found a used grape press locally and am wondering if anyone has used one of these for squeezing cappings? I think if I wrap the cappings in cheese cloth this should work.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Peter M.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Grape press for cappings?

I thought about this as well, but never tried it . Let me know if you try it and what your results are.

I tried it this past year with not the best success. I will try again this year and change up how I try it. With just capping sand no filter bag it squeezed wax and honey out of the sides. The filter bag worked better but became clogged as the wax put up more resistance. I will try it again because I only tried it at the end of the harvest and just a bit longer f capping remaining.

I was going to try this but I was going to use a wallpaper steamer in the compression area to keep the wax melted.

That might work quite well, I may have to try something like that

I have done this several times. Used a pressafruta 20 in stainless steel from the local brew supply store. I will edit to show photos as I do not have them on this computer. The process is a little slow, but faster than gravity. Press, let the honey flow out, and then turn some more. I used a straining bag in a bucket to collect the capping and then put the whole thing in the basket. The model I used has a stainless basket with small holes so the bag does not burst. A little hot water from the tap helps soften the puck enough to get it out of the basket.

Be aware that the honey will ooze over the top of the press pad and could get to the greasy parts if you are not careful enough.

I have been looking for the same model to buy but all I can find now are the painted steel version

Putting the capping's in a cheese cloth bag or similar and putting it in the extractor works for me.