First swarm capture question....... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: First swarm capture question.......

With those other two strong hives pretty close I'd be moving that entrance feeder to above the cluster... to knock down any idea of robbing..Good luck

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I thought about that. I have a top feeder that I will switch too. I just wanted to put something in there for the time being. Do you think it's okay to keep the new swarm so close to the other hives?

Just out of curiosity, what are the chances that my original hive will produce any honey this year after the swarm?

Quote Originally Posted by Quad1993 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what are the chances that my original hive will produce any honey this year after the swarm?
    Depends if the swarm was a primary swarm or if the original hive had already cast a primary swarm and these were after swarms. You'll probably still get some honey. I would not put the queen in a queen clip as suggested, she'll be fine. Also, you are ok to put the swarm hive near the original hive, but if you can move it for 3 weeks a couple of miles away, then bring it back, you'll have fewer bees drift back to the original hive that they already know as home.

haha thanks. I wish my first one was one of those swarms that land in a tiny tree about 4 feet off the ground that people just easily drop into a box without any problems. haha nooooooo, not this guy.
    I chuckled when I read this...I got a call a week ago to get a swarm about 6 ft up in a tree about 4 feet from a sidewalk in front of a house that was about 1.5 miles from my house. Next day, same lady calls, says.another slightly smaller swarm is in the tree beside the first swarm tree, between the sidewalk and street about 4 feet up. I thought it was all my foragers from the 1st swarm maybe had headed back. Captured the 2nd swarm, had a virgin queen in it, added them to another empty box. Driving away from the capture, my wife looks over and spots a house about a block over with 3 top bar hives in the back yard.
    Easiest two swarms, I've captured. The 1st swarmed had a big mated queen I marked. The 2nd had a virgin queen that was actually out on a mating flight again today after 4 days of rain.

Lmao. Must be nice!

On another note, just check on the bees and this is what they look like!
    IMG_1784.jpgIMG_1784.jpg

Am I in for trouble?

Lmao. Must be nice!
    On another note, just check on the bees and this is what they look like!
    IMG_1784.jpgIMG_1784.jpg

Am I in for trouble?
    Looks good to me!

"Am I in for trouble?" Only one way to find out, and that is to see what is going in on the inside, & see who is swarming and/or preparing to. I personally would consider opening up some of their entrances.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

The hive in the front is the swarm I captured and the hive in the back left is where it came from. The hive in the back right is still fully intact. Is it normal for all the activity from a hive that just swarmed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12