Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

hollow log rescue (SE Texas) - pics

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Texas_Drone 
#1 ·
Got a call from south county from a man clearing a field. Found an old chunk of a stump near the base of a tree, preferred not to kill and asked if I could help. Was getting late in the day but figured if I could grab the chunk of wood and package it just right then the field workers could come home for the night, settle in and then i could transport them home.

Got there and saw that ants had been slowly covering the chunk with dirt and were literally forcing the bees out. Comb that I could see was very dark and the wood somewhat delicate, it had split open along one side. Also had a "window" on the side of the log where bees were pretty much protecting the comb. Shoveled 90% of the antpile to the side and started dusting the remaining ants and their larvae off.

Finished digging the chunk out and wrapped a bungie cord around it to hold it together, then laid a plastic tote next to it. Gave it one final thorough dusting to remove ants/embryos and then slowly slid the chunk sideways into the tote, then stood the tote upright while rotating the log. Immediately they were carting ant eggs and babies to the top of the tote and tossing them out.

Laid the lid on the tote, offset it just a little to one end to leave an entrance for the foragers returning from the fields. Slid the tote into the shade of the tree and decided to take a break and go get a snack. Got back and wasn't gonna be long before darkness fell, not a single bee buzzing around, apparently all that lived there had come home and settled in for the night.

YES! :applause:

Snapped the lid on, carried them to the truck and headed home. Kept em sealed up overnight, then cracked the lid open a hair and stuffed weeds and vines in any obvious entrances/exits so they would be sure to re-orientate their GPS. Took about 2-3 days of them staying put but by the 4th day they started showing activity. Today they were coming and going like business as usual.

One major thing I noticed is they are working diligently on the old comb on the ends of the log so it looks like they plan on making use of all their assets now that the ants are gone.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
If something happens to make the bee unsure if its base location is correct it will reorient. This could be cold weather for a week or so that keeps the bees inside until they forget, a move of a couple of miles which they may detect by differing magnetic fields, (bees have a couple of different kinds of cells that contain ferrite, magnetic iron oxide, that imply the ability to detect magnetic fields), or the fact that visual surroundings have changed, often because the beekeeper has obstructed the entrance with something after moving the hive. The bees then fly circles and lazy eights nearby until they gather enough data to ensure that they can return to the spot.
Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.