Need Guidance with New Swarm Put Into Warre Hive

Default Need Guidance with New Swarm Put Into Warre Hive

I caught a swarm today and put it into a Warre hive.

I used the three boxes I had as I wanted to make sure they had enough room. Should I take 1 or 2 of those off? And go ahead or wait a day or so?

In my haste to put the cover on, I forgot to add the top bars to the top box so I still need to do that. The lower boxes have 2 top bars on each side. Should I go ahead and get all the top bars in there as soon as I can?

We are in the beginning of our flow so have lots of blooms around. So I shouldn't feed, right?

I have 3 top bar drawn combs for the Warre that are in the parent Langstroth hive. They probably have brood in them. When should I move them to the Warre hive? The drawn combs probably have wax moth larvae in them - should I freeze the frames and sacrifice the brood?

Thanks for helping me sort this out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Need Guidance with New Swarm Put Into Warre Hive

Well they will start making wax at the top with or without top bars. You might have a mess already is my first thought. Opening the hive to add the tops bars will probably make that mess worse, but I am not sure you have much choice. The sooner you fix that the better I would presume, so add the top bars.

Personally, I wouldn't add any brood from the parent hive or feed the new colony as long as the nectar flow was ongoing and the new colony seemed to be healthy and strong. A strong swarm should be able to take care of itself under the right conditions.

They always start at the top, so all the comb they have built will be on the cover...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Sorry I didn't update before now. I went ahead and added the top bars the next morning. Though 2 of them wouldn't fit in the box I left on top. I left the outside positions open. Those bars need to be shortened slightly. I'll do that now and get them in there today.

But y'all are right - there was a huge mass of bees clinging to and festooning from the bottom of the quilt. Took quite a bit of shaking and tapping the edge down against the box to get them off.

I took off 1 of the 3 boxes so there's only 2 for now.

I am planning to get the top bar combs out of the parent Lang as soon as all of that brood have emerged. Will freeze those and probably then just put them in the Warre at next opportunity.

I would let them build out a single box before nadiring a second box. That should help prevent the combs being attached to the top bars in the box below.

When I put a swarm in a Warre hive with 2 boxes, they started and are still in the bottom box, they are working fine, just hope they will move up at some point.