It is probly not you.I am having a great deal of difficulty in following your description of events/reactives.
Likely just me.
On some of the things you mention, I am not converted. I more look through the forum seeing things others have tried and liked that fit with what I want to accomplish and then I try it and see if it works.So I offer basics, fully aware I may be "preaching to the converted".
Most of this is over for this year but I did have my issues during all the things that happenned.Any active queen is with the swarm.
That swarm colony should be relocated at least a mile offsite, particularly where other managed colonies exist close to it's origin.
Likewise moving a colony "10feet" is more likely to fail than be productive. Close it up at dusk and move it offsite also.
There will be plenty of days remaining to sort a queenless colony, so for "do now" action eliminate the immediate risk of colony drift in all cases. Consequences of drift/confusion could include robbing and/or after swarms or even more full swarms.
I do understand the queen is with the swarm. I did have a swarm that I caught but also had three hives and so I thought I had it figured out which hive had swarmed. Then I did a teronov split on a differrent hive cause it had cups with larva and royal jelly in it and lost the queen some how and so now I know that I don't know for sure.
Move bees a mile.
As far as moving a more then ten feet. I reconize this may work best however on the splits that I did do that were not swarms I caught, I tried to split the bees by age and job so that drift was less of an issue and also on one used a double screen board cause drift of forager bees from the young bees on the top of the board would only help the lower hive at some point and so as long as the top part stayed "strong enough", The bottom would be even better and it could be accomplished in one yard.
The one that I moved ten plus feet away and let the old bees fly back to the old location was something that member "lourie" said she really liked and I tried it and it is my favorite as those were my strongest comb building split from the hive I was already sure had swarmed. I really like that split and would sometime like to try it while having the old queen and before she had left.
I did put two of the three swarms that issued from my hives only 10/20 feet away and drift could be an issue with one of them. They were both after swarms that came a day apart from each other and one of them is not now viable. I did however put a leaky feeder on that hive and also killed a bunch of bees when hiving it. It could be drift or the queen not making it back also but I think it is more likely the killing of all the bees maby getting the queen or mostly my leaky feeder running out the bottom board.
I do have access to two hundred acres about 12 miles away that I could move splits and such to but figured that I would like to keep everything in my back yard for a while and try to learn with them first. I could move them for a couple of weeks but am foundationless and moved a swarm one time and collapsed all its comb and so for now I am practicing in my back yard, good or bad.
I do think that when the swarming and splitting happenned might be why they worked as well as they have so far. I would hate to do what I did with those small swarms in a derth.
I realize I do put a lot of "I" in my post and believe you are probly correct that I might have a small selfish (lazy) streak that could work against me working with the bees. I do look for post that help me midigate what I want to accomplish in a way that the bees may accept it though.
I don't dissagree that I could work with the bees better. I also find that I can read and read and read but the doing is always differrent from the picture that that reading puts in you head.
I am retired though and maby having a differrent goal in mind than handling bees to thier max. I don't relie on the income and don't know if I want to have another job but more want a cheep hoby that teaches me things. I may experment a bit and then come on here so smart people can tell me that the reason this didn't work is because it did not fit with what the bees want.
Don't get me wrong, I want to know more of the right things which is why I put it out there. I want to eventually know what can and cannot be done and what works as well as what does not.
I do say that so far, my very favorite split was just moving the whole hive 10 plus feet and letting the foragers fly back to the old spot and start building comb.
As far as my stand out quality, every body keeps bees to get stuff for themselves. I do too. I do look for ways to make the bees want the things that I want. I get most of my ideals from people willing to comment and I thank you for yours and also any more that you have the patients and energy to give.
Ps The hive I did the teronov split on and then put back on the hive was the hive that put out two after swarms and so I am not discounting that is could be from confussion of having all the splits so close. I did mess up on that split in two or three ways in my mind though that could have contributed. One, I did not shake all the bees off the frame and may have left too many young bees on bottom. Two, the wind blew the board over where the young bees were clustering putting them in the grass, Three, I did not bait the empty box with drawn comb or brood to intice the bees to use it and lastly, I did not cull the queen cells down to one or two in the lower split but left all of them.
It was still fun for a first time and I will do better next time.