bone head split so far, somebody save the day. - Page 23
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Default Re: bone head split so far, somebody save the day.

Glenn, your thread is certainly entertaining. While I have not sat down and read them straight through like Russ, even if he spent a week, I have followed the thread since you started it. By design, or a serious case of good luck, you have done well. Keep it up.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Russ
    Thanks for taking an interest.

Jw
    Thanks for the kind words. My view is every dog has their day and sometimes you are up and sometimes you get beat down. I have been lucky so far.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

On the split I sold from a hive that I also split after the sell and that I mentioned that I had recombined with out seeing either queen or using newspaper.

It has no capped brood yet but I did see this.

I wonder if she will darken a little more as she ages. She is pretty lite colored now.

Since she is not a giant, you can see why she is only the second queen I have seen this year.

Not that much size difference from the rest of the bees. I still saw some live drones in the hives. I did not see any capped brood but did see one side of one frame with some large larva. I didn't see any small brood but that does not surprise me as I never do. The bees have way too much comb for the bee density and I have never seen so much pollen stored in comb but they only have one frame of honey and so will have a hard time growing much unless we really have a good fall flow.

I just posted this cause I am too lazy to take many pictures and so thought I should save the one I did take and here seemed like a good place to do that.
    Thanks for reading.
    gww
    Attached Images Attached Images
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    It has no capped brood yet but I did see this.
    GWW:

Thank you for the update I'd say if you've got a live queen and developing larvae chances are you are on the right road! The queen looks alright to my admittedly inexperienced eye, just judging against several of the queens I have seen in my yard.

Keep up the good work!

Russ

Ok, update. I am now down to 9 hives as I had one die. I got busy lately and have not had time to try and be a better bee keeper. Due to the time I have let pass, an autopsy would do no good as the hive has been robbed clean. I have at least one more that will die over winter if I don't add food.

I am not sure of how the rest are cause I only opened three hives not counting the dead one and they had enough and so I am taking it on faith that the rest are ok.

I am not willing to attribute the dead hive to mites or disease (though not impossible). The reason I say this is because this is a hive that I pulled a bunch of brood frames from and gave to somebody that had accidentally bought an extra queen that he had no where to put. My belief is that he got the queen from my hive with that brood or the hive had already swarmed though I think it was too late due to it being in july. We did see charged queen cells being made when he took the brood cause I had to call him and tell him to make sure and destroy all of them before placing his queen if he wanted the queen to live. I am pretty sure we left one of two cells in the hive. I think we killed the queen or lost it and the new one did not get mated. I should have paid more attention. I am sometimes over confident. The guy gave me 40 bucks for the bees and it should have worked but now was an expensive endeavor. My fault though and a good learning experience.

The hive that needs feed is the other hive that we took a medium of bees from including the queen and most of the brood. I had split the two boxes left by the box with out looking to see if there was a queen cell in both boxes due to how hot those bees were the day I did the split. When I looked at them later and seen one queen, I just combined them back cause I did not see the other queen. It is a hive now with one box of bees and brood and one box of basically empty comb. I am pretty sure it is plenty healthy enough to make it through winter bee wise but not good enough to gather enough stores before frost. I really don't like late splits that happen about harvest time.

So now over 4 summers, I have lost 2 hives and have nine left. This is going to be the first year that I am not going to prop any of them up by giving them a couple gal of 2 to 1 in oct (except maybe the small one just to show I am not crazy). Hope I don't start any robbing on the small one but it does seem like a pretty good fall flow is on right this minute with me seeing bees on the small amount of golden rod and the tons or frost astors that is out there. If I hurry, I will be ok. The two hives I opened seemed to have the third box full of honey and so if they don't swarm, they should be good and the others should be close with out having to look at them. I say this cause one hive has filled that top box since I took the honey in sept which was the last I had looked in them.
    They are bringing in pollen and so probably going to have a healthy round of brood for winter bees.

I will of course know more come spring.

My very best producer was my oldest hive that I never split or did anything else to but that might have superceeded sometime though I never noticed it. I got about 50 lbs excess off of that hive. However, I only got about 130 lbs over all from all ten hives with nothing coming from a few.

I usually am done about now and will not weigh or open the hives again till the first 70 degree day of spring whenever that is, weather in feb or april.

I do enjoy looking at the entrances on any day warm enough for the bees to fly though.
    b-th b-th b-thats all folks.
    Cheers
    gww

Ps the combs in the dead out still look good and I am going to leave them as it should frost by oct 20th or so. I hope they survive that with out wax moth and believe they will. I could move them to a freezer with my other four that I have store but want to see if they survive in good shape. If they do, next year will be the first year that I have a chance to see what my bees might produce if given draw supers. I am foundationless and have never had enough comb to give them and they have had to make the comb for the excess honey that I take. If I had to have a dead out, this is the one positive.
    Last edited by gww; 09-26-2019 at 03:25 PM.
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    The guy gave me 40 bucks for the bees and it should have worked but now was an expensive endeavor. My fault though and a good learning experience.

This is going to be the first year that I am not going to prop any of them up by giving them a couple gal of 2 to 1 in oct (except maybe the small one just to show I am not crazy).

If they do, next year will be the first year that I have a chance to see what my bees might produce if given draw supers. I am foundationless and have never had enough comb to give them and they have had to make the comb for the excess honey that I take. If I had to have a dead out, this is the one positive.
    GWW:

As always, I enjoy reading your posts- I read this one last night and then came back today and read it again more carefully to make sure I understood everything.

In my very limited beekeeping experience, I have found that every manipulation is an adventure, and often fraught with risk- It seems I'm the guy that always shakes the queen out of the colony when looking to add resources to other colonies, so you might very well be right concerning your dead-out.

Either way, as you mention the drawn comb will no doubt come in real handy with your other colonies provided you don't have a swarm move in before you put those combs away .

I am looking forward to hearing how your plan to offer no welfare to your colonies turns out. When I go through all my colonies in the next couple of weeks I am leaning toward the same approach provided it looks like they have sufficient stores, based in part on your experiences.

Keep up the good work, and best of success with your support of the struggling colony.

Have a great weekend.

Russ

russ
    I am looking forward to hearing how your plan to offer no welfare to your colonies turns out. When I go through all my colonies in the next couple of weeks I am leaning toward the same approach provided it looks like they have sufficient stores, based in part on your experiences.
    Just keep in mind, my only experience so far is adding at least 2 gal fast in the beginning of oct and some times a few with sugar blocks to boot.

I have no experience of doing nothing but will by spring time.

I saw your goerge E. post on taking care of comb on your thread and was thinking you might have posted it based on my leaving the comb out.

Time will tell how all goes but I feel pretty confident and the only thing left is to see if I should have felt that way.

I will keep learning through your thread even if I don't comment every day. It is still a highlight of my day that I try and keep up on.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

You're a good guy, GWW. Keep up the good work- I've learned a whole lot from you too...

Any references to George Imirie and protecting drawn comb at a time you are talking about leaving out are strictly coincidental 😉.

Best of success as you close out the season.

Russ

In back reading this thread...
    You have mentioned, back in May, that sometimes the brood looks bad and spotty, and then it clears up. Several things can cause this, but what I have surmised at times in my own hives, is that when it's colder in the late winter/early spring, the brood can be quite spotty and then it clears up as the weather warms... the reason may be that when it's colder, they need more open cells in the brood area so that "heater bees" can enter the cells and heat the comb and brood. As the weather warms, the need for heating comb and brood reduces so the brood is not as spotty then.

Heater bees are the bees that go into cells, disconnect their wing muscles and then exercise those muscles to create heat. That warms the comb and brood around them. I think this explanation has answered what I see, at least some of the time. Maybe it is the answer to some of the times when you see the same thing.
    Live real time bee chat, most evenings...
    https://www.rumbletalk.com/client/chat.php?4%40HY_hmJ

Ray
    Thanks for the tip. Hope you are doing well. I would come and talk at the chat room but have been really busy trying to get moms plumbing in her 100 year old house running as strong as it should run and keeping the old ford tractor working.

Plus I have had some doctors appointments and am not used to the time those things take as I have not had that hassle for most of my life.

I am really glad to hear from you in this thread cause I would have never survived my first few years with out yours and Daniels calming influence as issues came up. You showing up here gives me a chance to point that out again to everyone that might read this.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223