bone head split so far, somebody save the day. - Page 2
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: bone head split so far, somebody save the day.

Danial
    Yes, I am blessed with bees, of course that just means I didn't open the brood nest well enough. I will be blessed when I figure out which hive are successful in the queen department. Who knows, I might be putting them back together before it is over. That would be funny if I have to put them all back together again. I think I have enough wooden ware to last till winter, but I am giong through it at a pretty fair rate.
    Thanks for the comment.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Great thread, please update!

SiW.....
    Not much to update, I put about 3 gal of food on the what I am describing as a fly back split. I had thought it was chalk full when I did the split but seemed light so feed I did. I am done feeding or anything except watching the entrance till some where in the beginning of may when I will look for signs of a laying queen in both sides of the fly back swarm.

On the teronov split, I am giving about a pint a day to what is hopefully the queen and young bees. I will check it in probly a week and see if it has got the queen cause if it does not, it has no way to make one cause I put no brood in the young be part. I figure this part of the split is pretty small because it is only taking a pint a day and has zero foragers coming out of the side opening on the double screen door. It has only been 5 days or so since the split and hopefully that will change. If I do another teranov split, I will probly still be as sloppy but will use a staple or two to hold the sheet from the wind. But, I should have some ideal of queenlyness on that hive sooner then the rest. If it is queenless, I will recombine the hive which shouldn't be too hard since it is on a double screen board over the origional hive. I am mostly in a waiting mode right now on the queen thing. If the queen thing works out on all of the four parts of the splits, I should be in fair shape as the first swarms that I caught last year where on may 6/7th. Right on time for a couple of smaller hives to build up. I have not feed any hive that has foragers in it. One has only one comb of brood with a queen cell and the other forager split has all the brood. I should have an interesting contrast of things to look at. I may feed the broodless forager split but had thought I read some where that it is better to wait untill the queen is laying. I will decide when I check for a laying queen based on what comb they have built between now and then.

I have my fingers crossed on all of this. So far I like the fly back split best when starting with a queen cell because it is so easy. I would have liked it even better I think if I could have found the old queen and moved her with the foragers rather then a queen cell, but I was too late and believe the hive had swarmed before I caught it. I did not see the queen on the teronov split either and just took it for granted that she would end up in the right place. If she did not, it will only be the second one I have ever heard of being a failure. She could be dead in the grass though due to the wind that day. Time will tell and fingers are crossed.
    If you see me being stupid in any of my moves, do not be shy, I may not listen everytime but sure want to hear it.
    Thanks
    gww
    zone 5b

Gww, I'm learning the beekeeping lingo from your post. Queenlyness. .

Danial
    Yea, I make it up as I go. You think it might catch on?.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

It will probably reside in my head gww.

Ok
    Though I was really trying to wait, I checked the hives today. My intention was to check the teronov split for a queen. I wanted to wait till the end of the week but the wether has a whole bunch of rain in it.

I opened the shaken bees that are over the snelgrove board. They have built some beutiful comb with the sugar water that I have been giving them. Maby about 30 percent of the hive body. It is all full but no sign of a queen. Since the hive had queen cups in it but no larva, I was thinking that I should have got the queen but don't think I did. I am not sure how long the queen would have stoped laying and then started if the hive had decided it wanted to swarm and so maby checking in six days was too early.

I had made the walk away split with the foragers getting one brood frames with one capped queen cell and two uncapped cups and two frames of capped honey. I decided to open that hive next to see if one of the queen cells was still in it. It was made 8 days ago. It had about sixty percent of the combs drawn out and sure enough on the brood frame the bees had actually made even more queen cells. I could not find one that was open yet and did not see the queen. These bees have recieved no feed.

I found a capped cell that was not too close to the bottom bar and used my pocket knife to cut it out trying to take some extra comb. I took this cell which is turning dark color and hard and so I hope close to hatching and put it in one of the combs in the teronov split. I cut out a hole in the comb in the teronov split and smashed the extra ears I had left on the queen cell into the hole I had made.

Two things worry me a little on this. One is that when smashing the cell into the comb, I saw some royal jelly or bee bread ooze out. I am hoping this is from brood that might be in the excess wax that I cut around the cell but am still a little worried. The second fear is that when I slid the combs back together so everything fit, it was pushed right up against the top of the cell where the queen usually comes out. Time will tell.

I did notice one other kinda funny thing. Around the queen cells there sure were a bunch of bees doing the waggle dance. The bees were covering the queen cell very well. They did not like it very well when I blew on them to make them move so I could see.

Hope it works.

I also got in my one hive that I did not find cells in. The had about 60 percent of the super I had added to them drawn out. I moved that super to the side and pulled two frames from the second medium box up into a new box and put empties in thier place and then put that super brood/new brood nest and then set what was the old third box on top of it. The very top box now was almost all honey but it did have a drawn out queen cup in the middle of all that honey that had a bee going in it and I guess cleaning it cause I looked up in it and it was empty. I might be giving them too much space to quickly but it give me a chance to move a couple of frames of brood out of the brood nest.

It might be a mistake but I also undersupered the walk away split that had all the young bees and all the brood that I had given 3 gal of serup to. They don't have a queen yet I don't believe because they should be the same as the one I took the queen cell out of but the young bee part of it. They have all the brood and were three boxes high and now are foraging and I udersupered that hive.

I am going to have a very hard time on it deciding what is honey and what is sugar water because I did not mark the frames yet.

I was supering some of this early cause I don't want to mess with them during a virgin queen mating flight and was afraid they might turn the mating flight into a swarm if they felt crowded.

I don't know what I an doing and am just guessing what might work.

Wish me luck. I think I can stay out of the hives now till may 6/10 or somewhere around then.

Cheers
    gww

PS On the teronov split I didn't have much choice cause they had no brood and no way to possibly make a queen of thier own.

PS PS I don't know if it was coincidence or just time for some bees to graduate to foragers, but for the first time since making the split and after I put the queen cell in the teronov split, the bees were bringing back pollen on almost every bee that left the hive. The one that I took the queen cell from was now for the first time bringing no pollen in but they were working like crazy. I know there are still queen cells in the hive though.

One other good thing is that even the combs that were pure nector, the bees were drawing them strait and not fat.
    Last edited by gww; 04-24-2017 at 02:07 PM.
    zone 5b

gww
    You are going to be a Master Beekeeper in no time at all, keep up the good work. Marking the honey/sugar frames may or may not be any thing meaningful to do anyway, as bees do move honey around in the hive. Mostly they move up what they don't need down below in the brood nest, so that over time the top gets capped and the cap-line moves down towards the brood nest. We like to keep open space to store excess brood nectar right over the top of the brood nest, so under supering can be a good thing this time of year.

Ray
    I took all the foragers and left all the brood and so I was worried and so fed. That hive has now put together a pretty decent forager force and hopefully 30 lbs of sugar with them feeding brood and drawing comb, might not be a killer in the big picture. My other hives that might have a chance of giving excess have not been fed since fall and so I can still have a clean point, especially if I am willing to move some comb around when harvesting.

I spent 3 hours today watching some scouts check out a bait hive. I post this stuff incase I really do something stupid, somebody can either get some comic relief or clue me in. I don't really worry too much which of those happens though I will say getting clued in works a little better for me.

It seems a little wierd on the teronov split that I did not get the queen but I did leave some bees on the comb and I did have the wind mishap. In the end, I guess I will know more of my success rate when it comes time for the queens to start laying. I will proby check in about 15 days or so but it might take me twenty five to really see if I was successful cause I can not see eggs and can only see the big larva. I have my fingers crossed though that all four sides come out ok and that I don't have to recombine.

I thank you for your comment.
    gww

Ps Master beekeeper, ha ha, I still have never found a queen with out help yet.
    zone 5b

Ok, after a week of rain and the first day that was going to get to 70 degrees, My bottom half of the hive that I made the teronov split on to try and stop swarms swarmed, dang it.

I still don't know if I had a queen down there cause I did not think she had made it to the young be side of the split. I have not checked the hives for a good 20 days and had four hives that I had been waiting on queen mating.

This was one of them. I have heard that when the queen goes out to mate that the hive sometimes will send a swarm with her. I went ahead and hived the swarm cause I had thought that the swarm flew with the queen untill she out flew then and then they went back to the hive. Since this swarm was in the tree where my last swarm was, I am guessing that that is not what was happenning here.

I am going to have one heck of a time getting any honey this year the way things are going. I only have one hive that I don't think has swarmed or been split but even that hive I have stolen two frames of brood from to try and tether the two swarms I have hived.

I am a little lost in all this but if they get queen right, I now am at six hives frome three. No honey but getting plenty of bees. Of course that depends on having queens in them all.

Every body likes pictures.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I am not sure I get this gww. Your taronov split, the one where the queen should have ended up in, is the one that swarmed here? If that's the case, I am wondering if you also gave that split a queen cell or two, which prompted them to swarm. O If you made a split with the queen, but there was a cell or two in the split, it may not have made them think they swarmed. The disruption may have delayed any swarming till the virgin emerged, then the weather prevented a swarm till today.

If this split was the portion to produce a new queen, and you had several cells, I am supposing that could prompt the first virgin to swarm since there are more on the way, and again, the weather delayed it all.

I don't know if all that is reasonable, so it's just thinking out loud again.

Danial
    My take on it is this.
    1. I did confuse you because I put the young bee portion of the split on top of the hive that I shook. It is the lower old bee side that swarmed.

2. Some how I do not think that I got the queen in with the young bees. I shook every frame and did not compleetly clear them of bees while shaking and so the old part of the split had some nusrse bees and all the brood.

3. Since it did not seem like I got the old queen up with the young bees, she could have still been in the old be part. I was under the mistaken ideal that the queen would fall easier then the nusre bees when shaking and I did look after shaking for the queen on the comb before putting it back with the old bee part.
    I did have the wind blow a clump of bees in the grass while doing the shaking and had pretty much decided I had harmed and lost her but she could have ended up in the old bee part.

4. I don't think the queen had swarmed yet when I made the split because the swarm cells were none capped yet. It is not impossible that she ended up in the old bee side or swarmed. I did not worry about it and was just taking the chance that splitting off that many young bees might change the make up enough to make them think they could not swarm.

5.I was thinking that even if the queen was in the old be side that the bees would tear down the cells or would have let them hatch and take out the queen.

6. This swarm did not look but about one third the size of my last swarm and so I am thinking it might be a virgin swarm but don't know. The queen cells if capped would have hatched about a week ago if my math is correct (and it could be wrong). It did rain steady and not get above 65 degrees on the one day that had any clearing at all and was 3 days ago. The virgin queen would have been hatched in the hive for a good week and maby closer to two weeks. I think I made the split on the 18th or so of april.

I did put a queen cell from a differrent hive in the young bee part because I could see no eggs and it would have hatched even earlier. I had intended to give them two good days before going in the hive so they had a chance of a mating flight before I messed with them again. I still have not seen if I was successful there but that part is not the part that swarmed.

On the part that did swarm, I did not reduce the amount of queen cells to two. It was pretty big and I had reduced the number of bees in it and had the split on top of it that had a differrent aged queen cell in it and I didn't want to mess up the possible mating of that queen cell to get to the ones below to cull them.

I deserve the swarm and may even get more but I was hopeing I had done enough just by splitting the age groups to forstall it. I was wrong ha ha.

It wil be interesting to check the old hive that swarmed or the swarm in a couple of days and see if either has eggs. My problim is that I can not see eggs and so at times might miss read the truth even if looking.

The queen may have been laying down there all along.

I do not inspect very well and lots of time even looking, I don't find. I have never found a queen on my own yet but I also though looking never really search for her that hard but more look at other things and just do manuvers that should work regaurdless of where she ends up. By work, I don't mean work best (to prevent swarming and such) but more to make sure each thing I do leaves bees an avenue to end up with a queen. I realize that I can do better but this being the first few times of me moving bees around, the doing it the first time is hard enough and I should get better with the process to be able to add more to it. I am a slow learner and so I did this and watch the out come and believe that I will do better next time taking what I am learning as I go into account.

Guess I am going to have to make a shaker box and go that rout to find the queen a couple of times.

Thanks you for the comments
    gww
    zone 5b

gww, it seems as though when there's a swarm impulse in progress, that impulse needs to be squelched. Just taking away the queen and some brood, may be like a swarm to the bees, but if there are many cells and many bees left, an after swarm can still happen easily. That's probably what you have, which could mean you have a virgin queen swarm there.

One thing I don't get, you put the "swarm" bees back on top. Does that mean you only separated them with a screen or excluder, or were they totally separated? If they had a screen or excluder, yet in contact, I don't know that the Taranov split put back on top did anything to squelch the impulse. I don't know about that though. Evidently what ever you did didn't convince them not to swarm anymore. Leaving one good cell would not allow them to swarm with the queen, since they then would be done for. Many cells tells them to do some more swarms. Even if you take away the 'swarm' if they have the resources, they'd still have the impulse to after swarm. For insurance, you could do 2 splits out of the remaining, with each split having one cell, and have an extra opportunity for a mated queen. The original Taranov swarm would need to be eliminated from the hive though as a split. I might not understand what you were doing there.

Danial

This is what I did except I did not shake the frames completly free of bees.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETgWMMZr4So&t=227s

I used a double screen board to seperate the splits. Lots of people use them in splits. My mentor said he didn't cull the extra cells down and I also had a lot older cell on the top split and so didn't want to mess up the mating flight by messing with the top part.

I knew the risk but also know that lots uses the double screen board in simular fassion if they find cells started in a hive. If I had moved the brood with the young bees, I doubt they would have swarmed but I figured the young bees would draw better wax on foundationless frames and I had read in langstroths book that sometimes the bees will not be drawing good brood comb untill they get a queen and so the ideal was to end up with the queen being in the young bee part of the hive with only foundationless frames.

I waited 5 or so days and looked at the comb the young bees were making and did not see any laying and so added a queen cell just in case cause I had put no brood with the young bees. It may be that she had already quit laying to slim down and had not started back but I figured what the heck, even if she was there, a new queen would give the bees a brood break with no capped brood in the hive and since I haven't treated, I figured that would be second best if I somehow missed getting the queen with the young bees.

Some of this is due to lazyness. It was much easier to just shake and stack. Honestly, I would think it would work more times then not but this time I did leave too many bees on the frames when shaking and also had lots of brood hatching.

I should have culled the queen cells but had already stolen two from the other hive and gave to a freind and also had stolen one and gave to the young bee split and had it in my mind that they might still come in handy somewhere. I should have did like michael bush says and split each with a frame of brood and then put some of them back together later if I didn't need them. I was thinking that I might still get some honey from these hives is why I did not split a bit deeper. I thought with all that brood hatching and no queen that the bees might just pack in the nector even with the young bees gone. Insted I got a swarm. I

really don't care too much but am trying to learn as I go so when I start caring more, I will be better at it. I figure this is just a learning experiance. I am not sure I learned anything though yet. Cause I am thinking I want to try it one more time next year and see if I have better results. Maby next year I can do it before they start queen cells and get it in thier mind to swarm. T

hings happened this year sooner then I thought they would due to it not being as warm as I thought it needed to be to make moves like that. I am thinking that the warm febuary put the bees pretty far ahead this year then what is normal. That is the problim with being new and not knowing what to look for. I also had my mentor telling me the hive were in build up this year and I didn't have to worry too much about swarming and so I am just trying to pay attention and only reacting and not really being proactive yet cause it is my way of learning.
    Clear as mud right?
    Thanks
    gww

Ps I do know that scnelgrove (double screen board fame) had proceedures of using his board on hives with queen cells started and stacking to quelch swarming.
    zone 5b

Well here we go again,

Same hive as yesterday. I put it in a warre hive this time just for grins. I may have killed this one by putting a top hive feeder on that leaked. When I built it, I filled it with water and it did not leak. I should have filled it up with water for a day and let the wood swell. Either way I had two to one water running out the bottom board. They might get robbed before they get started. Maby I will get lucky now that clover has popped.

I went through the hives today and must say that I still have never spotted the queen in one by myself. The queen cell was gone on the one on top of the hive that swarmed today but even with only about 5 not compleetly drawn comb, I still could not find her or proof of her. They are bringing in pollen though. I will wait one more week and then think about combining it with the hive that just swarmed which hopefully did not leave its self queenless. It is the only hive I did not go through.

My other hive that I did the walk away split on and let the bees fly from it back to the old location. It seemed like most of the brood has hatched and though it had lots of bees, having all that brood hatch makes me think there should be more bees then there is. Maby it swarmed and I didn't notice it. I did not see signs of a queen in it either but the brood placement looks clean and the honey and pollen circle around where the queen would lay looks full.

The old part that I let the bees fly back to and that had one comb of brood and a couple of queen cells had more comb built then the teronove young bee split that I had been feeding. I did not feed this old bee split and it had to draw all its comb from scratch. I think I saw a very few wet brood in this hive. It was not milky wet but it looked like it had a few very small larva. The queen cell I gave the teronov split that I could find no proof of (for you danial) queenlyness had a cell the same age as this old bee split and also the young part of the flyback split. I probly checked a little to early due to the wether we had. I hope.

Any way, I hope I am not making a bunch of queenless hives. None of the hives I looked at that had brood had drawn much new comb. I felt the young bee flyback split was pretty light considering I had given it 3 gal of feed. The all look heathy. I am one bee killing machine when putting boxes back on. Even the swarm today, I had had the warre box up side down to use as sort of a funnel to pour my 5 gal bucket of bees in. When I fliped it so that the bars were on top, I looked at the edge and saw several crushed bees. The heavy supers are really hard. I will smoke the bees from the edge and by the time I am setting the super back on the sucker are under it. I will slowly lower it and move it back and forth a bit and still will hear lots of crunches when I set it and you can see the damage when it is opened again.

I have a lot of learning to do. My swarm management is going to have to go way up though I must say, when makeing bees, I have one hive that is four now if they all get queen right. Mel the mad splitter has nothing on me right now, ha ha.

The bees look healthy and are active as heck.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

gww, you're going to have to give away nucs to those you planned instead of honey. You are pretty good at making bees and they seem to be good genetics so far. A bit swarmy maybe. I hope you get it all figured out and have a bunch of queenly hives in a few weeks.

I have one hive from a swarm last year that I suspected could be swarmy. They are good builders, so I have been giving them room and adding a few empty frames in the brood nest for them to draw. It's a deep and 5 mediums so far and I have kept it from swarming. They have brood in the deep and 3 mediums, and a good reserve of nectar/curing honey. I don't know what it's going to look like when we get the main flow here. I wonder if it's a 2 queen hive a bit. There are a boat load of bees coming and going at the entrance, and fun to watch. The colonies right now take a weekly inspection to keep them convinced they aren't ready to swarm, and give them more frames to fill.

Danial
    I am a bit lazy on inspections but also had a swarm on 4/13/2017 and was thinking I had till at least the 15th before I even had to worry about swarm cell being started much less capped. I wanted to do some minipulations but the real wether for it came in february and I was getting in the hives every time it got almost 70 degrees out in march but was afraid to move stuff or add room to give me the abillity to move stuff due to it getting cold again.

I didn't have any drawn comb and so I would be adding empties in anything I did.

I still am not sure how to handle it but will have to be a bit more agressive.

I read the checker boarding and opening the brood nest and baiting a super but these hive built up fast from very small hives. They did have lots of stores for thier size to work with and they went to work.

I do see a bunch of dead bees around the warre. Some might have happend while dumping them and such but I would say all the spilt sugar water is taking its toll. the bees are still wound up and I got stung on the arm going around them. So two stings so far today. I think I am going to either paint or soak my top feeder cause that is why I put them in the warre. I thought it would be easy to feed them.

I really liked how this hive built up last year with out feeding till fall. I had two simular hives and this one was better at all of it. They are swarmy though. The hive I bought is swarmy enough to go first but atleast it was a full hive. It did have a new queen and so I was not that expectant of it swarming.

I may end up having to combine and so might still get a little honey.

I was given 350 lbs of sugar last year and so right now I should at least get a little comb drawn with all this swarming.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Ok, It has been 25 days from when three of my hives/splits/nucs had capped queen cells all from the same hive. I looked at all three today. I had moved one queen cell to the split that I attempted to do a teronove split on. For the verry first time in my life, I finally spotted a queen. I did not however spot any eggs or larva or wet brood in this hive. I would have thought I would have by now but I do not claim to have good eyes and even in big hives the best I reamember doing is seeing pretty big larva.

Seeing this queen brings up some questions for the other two hives. One is pretty big comb wise and bee wise. I one capped queen cell in this hive. To me, having a capped queen cell is imposible at 25 days out from a swarm. last time I inspected this hive 5 days ago, I found one out of place bullet that looked like a queen cell but was built out virtical and a little small but bigger then a drone. I had taken my knife and broke it and it was a big larva and lots of royal jelly. The queen cell actaully looks pretty nice. But is is impossible that it should be there and I don't get it. I also saw no wet brood in this hive. This is the hive that I took four queen cells out of and left more then two in. It will not upset me if I had to combine the one I found a queen in with this hive or would it be better to wait untill she is laying and just steal a frame of eggs larva or just wait on this hive and check again in 5 days? I don't know what to do.

I also have the old bee hive that I let the bees fly back to the old location when I moved the hive above to a differrent spot. As a side note, these bees are pretty amazing, I am feeding the teronov split and it is only at about 5 combs drawn out. This hive has seven drawn out and they are almost perfect and it was not fed.

Anywho, when I looked at this hive and all of them I was trying to listen for noise of queenlessness, It is hard to really tell because when you smoke them they put a buzz on also. I though maby it was a little louder. I listened outside to all the hives this morning also and maby it was a tiny bit louder but I am not sure. I went through the seven frames and did not find the queen. All three of the hives have some pollen. I also saw no wet brood on this hive. I also am not sure how to handle it. One thing is that since this hive started out as all old bees except for one medium frame of brood that had the queen cells on it. My thoughts are that it would not last long enough to raise another queen cell from eggs. Is this correct? How long can I play with these hives before having to worry about laying worker bees? I am guessing that I will wait one more week and look again before taking any type of action. What action should I take if I find nothing in a week? We did have some bad weather and maby that is why things are behind but I also did cut one of the queen cells out of the comb in this hive and so rough handling might be an issue athough the cut out cell that was moved did make a queen.

I have the other hive that has not swarmed but it has already given up two brood combs and is about my best hope for honey and is still not built out to a full brood nest yet (3 mediums).

I also have a swarm that came from the hive that swarmed twice on me and is in a lang. That was maby three days or so ago. I am sure it had a virgin queen and so wonder when I should inspect it. It is another avenue to get eggs or combine if needed if its queen gets to laying. I put one in a warre and it will be no help for stealing from.

When do you inspect virgin queen swarms?

I know this is a lot but if anyone could guide me a little, I would be thankful.

Thanks
    gww

Ps I did see one hive beetle in the bigger hive with the queen cell. I think I am going to have to reduce the space in that hive even though it still has a lot of bees. I had under supered it because it had all the brood to hatch but they have not did too much with the extra space but do have bees on almost all the drawn comb.
    zone 5b

gww, after a cell is capped, it takes 9 ish days before emergence. After that, the fastest I saw was 7 days to egg laying, but that's not normally what I see. 2 weeks minimum usually, up to 3 weeks after a queen emerges is possible. You are 15-16 days from a queen emerging, so you are just a bit early for concern. Your plan to wait a week is the best plan. Your swarm from 3 days ago, would most likely be 10-15 days yet, maybe a few more. If you see adjacent patches of cleaned out cells on a few frames, they have prepared for queenlyness.

Hive beetles, keep the hives away from shade is the best thing.

Danial
    Thank you so much, I was thinking that but it is hard to know things you only read about. To me it looks like a very small area that does not have stores in some of the comb. But they do look like little brood areas in center to side of comb. They hive in question on hive beetle is in full sun. I watched it go into a cell on comb but it was the only one I have seen in this hive.

I am sorry to bug you but I notice you are very, very patient on a couple of the other threads I have seen you take on.

What do I make of a capped queen cell (only one) in a hive that has not had a queen for 25+ days? It did not look like the bees were trying to hide it like they do at times.

When does your flow end in your area for the year? I am just curious on if I did try and re- combine two hives that just went through the requeen process, if the first round of brood would make it to foragers before the flow ends or if it would end up being its strongest just as the flow ends and need everything to survive.

I really like how you incorperated "queenlyness" into your sentance.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast