bone head split so far, somebody save the day. - Page 25
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Default Re: bone head split so far, somebody save the day.

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    novice
    If I would have set the supers on their side and left both ends open and even out in the weather, I probably would not have had issues except for maybe wood rot. I keep all my unused hive outside now and so don't worry too mush about rot (might come back and bite me later though).
    gww
    I stack them all in the garage. I hate the thought of my home-made boxes getting rot, so pretty much everything gets a coat of paint every year. I value the wood itself, since most of it came out of my dad's barn. I helped him build the livestock pens when I was a kid, and now am reusing the same wood for my bees 50 years later. Some of the wood was from his uncle, so maybe 80 years old.

I buy the returned paint at Farm & Fleet or Ace for <$10/gallon. Sometimes odd colors. Last year line marker paint, for painting stripes on parking lots was really cheap. So I have some very vivid yellow, red and blue boxes now. Interested to see how well it holds up in the weather.

Boxes full of comb go outside when the temps are below freezing, which seems to kill moths.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post

I buy the returned paint at Farm & Fleet or Ace for <$10/gallon. Sometimes odd colors. Last year line marker paint, for painting stripes on parking lots was really cheap. So I have some very vivid yellow, red and blue boxes now. Interested to see how well it holds up in the weather.

Boxes full of comb go outside when the temps are below freezing, which seems to kill moths.
    Being a cheap-skate, I pickup free paint only (craigslist, etc) - whatever it is - goes.

Moths - this is how the mid/late fall dead outs are the best - you clean the bees out, then have the entire winter to use the hive as in-place storage (no moths).
    Until then, I use the live hives as storage units - bees take care of it all.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

This is how I store my hives. It seems like no matter how much space I get for storage, it never stays empty enough to use. I built a 50 by 20 pole barn two or so years ago and though I have some hive stuff in there, no real room left.

Cheers
    gww
    Attached Images Attached Images
    zone 5b

gww, I can relate to you needing to see for yourself about the moths. I tend to just think something won't happen in my case, until it happens. Robbing was my biggest eye opener early on.

This fall as it cooled down, empty supers that had to come off, I left them outside on end and they did fairly well. It was when nights were getting pretty cool in October. If I put them in the storage shed they would have been pummeled like yours was. How do I know that? The ones in the storage shed were getting moths. I consider moving all comb outside when it gets frigid for a few days in case something is wintering over in the stored combs.

A Novice, that's an interesting result using the light on with comb. I would like to know if anyone else had such a result.

Danial
    It was great to hear from you. Hope all is well. I could not have made it this far with out you.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Gww, everything is good. I have been quite busy for a few months, but have an easy day today, which means not such a rush. I haven't been on here for some time though. Good honey harvest per hive, but queen mating has not gone too well.

Encouragement goes both ways here. Good to hear you are still buzzing there.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425