Spraying Bee's w/ Syrup During Installation in Cold Weather

Default Spraying Bee's w/ Syrup During Installation in Cold Weather

Hi,

I will be installing my very first package of bees on Monday. The temperature forecast for that day is a hight of 62F and a low of 41F. In all of the installation videos I have watched, they spray the bees with 1:1 Syrup (+ I am using Pro Health oil with it).

1. Will the temps be a problem for such a practice (I don't want to get the bees wet with syrup if it is going to harm them due to the cold)?

2. At what temp will they start taking syrup from the top feeder?

I'm in Boston.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Spraying Bee's w/ Syrup During Installation in Cold Weather

Hi there and welcome aboard!

So long as the syrup is warm (don't leave it outside overnight....leave it inside and spray it at room temperature) you'll be fine. That said, I never spray...I just shake. They'll be just fine. But spraying is best at warmer temps on calm, as in non-windy, days.

They'll take syrup above 50 or so degrees. That's syrup temp not air temp. You don't want them taking cold syrup and they don't like it either.

Let us know how it goes!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

My first year I used the sugar spritz. I have never used it since.
    Not a bad experience with it, I just found that the bees just didn't need it.

I installed two packages this year. These bees were HUNGRY and were more concerned with the feeder than they were with me.

I'd pass on the sugar water spray if I were you. Especially if it's cold.
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

I would bring them inside my basement and give them a spray or two on each side of the package.
    The next day I would spray them again to give them something to do while I pull the queen cage.
    Next I would set up the queen cage, give them another quick spray (do it inside if its cold) and dump them into the hive.
    They'll be busy licking the syrup off each other and won't fly much.

> Spraying Bee's w/ Syrup During Installation in Cold Weather

I never spray bees with syrup. No matter the temperature. Make sure their syrup is warm when you install them. Reheat the syrup every day (once a day) until the weather is in the mid 40s at night or the 70s in the day...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Disclaimer: No expert here. I am in Alaska and hive two packages at about 35 degrees on April 8th with snow on the grounds (and still is)

The Alaskan bee keep that sold the packages suggested to keep the hive indoors warm until right before the install. Then spraying the package a few time over an hour or two indoors, so they go in with full bellies. He also suggested, you could spray sugar syrup in some drawn comb if you have any. I did this year ,so did that as well.