mac and java wont let me on beesource chat - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: mac and java wont let me on beesource chat

What specifically is that Chatbox missing that you would prefer? Is it the size? Or are you wanting something that could break into individual user chats and the like?

Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Hello Admin.... Please just leave the old chat alone with the free version if its not going to upgraded to pay version. A lot of us still use it pretty much every night. There are work around allowing there browser to connect to the free version. There just going to have to do it. I'd love for everyone to be able to use it, but please don't screw it up for us that use it.

Leaving it alone would be easier. Getting mixed messages here though, but "leaving alone" is the safer bet, so for now we'll stick with that

Kevin

Wow
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

I happen to know for sure that bigsid is not the person that made post #62.
    I was wrong, that was bigsid that made that post, sorry for speaking out when I was wrong.
    I also know that someone with admin privileges was messing with chat two nights ago, and that chat was unavailable last night and continuing to now. What a shame, several logged into beesource trying to use the old chat last night, with three of us being older long time beekeepers and a couple more 8 year beeks trying to catch up with each other. Beesource is not the same place. Too bad, there were several long time beekeepers that visited the old chat on a regular basis. I'm gone, out of here, no more beesource in any form for me. It's been fun, but not interested in the way the forum is being run under the new administration, and now that chat is gone too, no reason to stick around.

The old chat now says service temporarily unavailable, and quits. Then java is messed up on my pc and can't watch vids at all not youtube or anywhere else. Then I have to clear all my caches and remove cookies and reboot browser to get to be able to see vids again.

Admin you are either going to keep the old chat or not. It is not being "leaving alone" as you say as now no one can get in and it messes up our systems.

Not sure if I'll be sticking around or not, I gotta see what develops and how I feel about it in a few days.
    Last edited by RayMarler; 04-06-2018 at 03:52 PM.

i use macs and have only visited the old chat room a few times in the past. at some point i was asked to 'use java'. when i tried to download the current version of java i was warned by apple that there may be security issues with it so i didn't download it.

i haven't tried it again since then because most of the time i'm doing good just to keep up with the forums. i know that there are a handful of folks like ray and avalonweddingsbcs that enjoy using the old chat so it would be great if that could be fixed to work like it did.

i've disabled the new chatbox from showing up on the 'forum' page as i wasn't using it and it just made the page take longer to load.

ray, you have been a long time and valuable contributor here. i'm sorry for yours and the other member's disappointment with the old chat room.

we moderators have no skin in the game here or any control over the site operation. we are just tasked with keeping the peace and doing what we can to promote the quality of the content here.

i don't participate in other forums but take a peek at them from time to time. we're definitely #1 as far as i'm concerned, and you are just as much responsible for that as anybody else.

it's not perfect, but all and all i remain thankful to the owners for making the site available and the cost for admission is hard to beat.

jmho.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I'm just having my mid-life crisis. Everyone is entitled to at least one, and it's my turn I guess.

The old chat room is a private chat room, you have to log into it and your name shows on the side bar as a user logged in at the moment. It's not open to being viewed by the anyone that is not logged in, therefore it's not viewable to the forum or the whole wide world, it's more personal between the people logged in at the moment only. There is also ability to stream chat one chatter to another one chatter. You can leave and click a button to show you are away, which means you'll be back momentarily. I can't imagine that anyone would purchase a forum and not know how the old chat room works, but yet, that's what admin keeps trying to imply. Then it's said they'll leave it alone as it is as the best option, but yet some admin of some type was fiddling with it last night and none of us regulars could log in. What a shame, there's longer year'd beekeepers than me that was logged into forum, but no one could get into the chat. Admin plays dumb. It was fine the way it was, it would be nice if it was upgraded so that mobile users could log in, but so be it, I had my only internet social place to visit each night. Now it seems it's gone. OH well, time brings change, this is just one I was hoping would not happen. Admin has the right to run things the way they want, no skin off my nose. I'll do without, I was without before I started coming here in the first place.

So, I just visited addonchat.com to see about the free version to run for myself, but it seems they have changed their offerings, there is no longer a free version with unlimited usage. There used to be, but now I don't see it listed on the site. So, my disappointment at admin's over the situation may very well be unfounded, My Sincere Apology to you all if it is just the case that the free version that's been in use for a year or more has been disabled by the original company of the software.

I see the chat box addition to the forum page is hardly used much at all, I can see why, it's a very poor offering for a chat room, but so be it. I'll just have to find another hobby to keep busy with each night, I'll be missing my friends that meet up in there, email won't be the same, but it'll keep us in contact at least.

I must agree Ray. I never post in forums and come to hang out with you and others in chat room pretty much everyday I must agree chat was the most valuable resource of this forum. I've gained more knowledge from chat than anything from forums... as you say its more personal because your speaking with people in real time. Truly a sad day

understood ray. i'm at 3 mid-life crises and counting.

thanks for the reply.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Why dont you set up your own Discord server Ray? It's free, you can type, you can use voice, you can stream, its easy to set up... put a link to it in your signature...
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

i guess i get the privacy issue but personally i prefer to exchange information on the open forums with the hope that others might benefit from the exchange as well.

i get pm's sometimes asking really good questions and most of the time i'll ask permission to post the questions on the open forum or encourage the questioner to do so.

it's not so much that i think what i have to offer is all that great but i just want the effort put forth to be utilized by as many as possible.

other than privacy, which i see now is important to some, i was thinking that a 'chat thread - no particular topic' could be stickied say on the main bee forum.

the opportunity for real time exchanging of information and learning is still there, and who knows, someone else might learn something in the process.

i'm not trying to impose my way of thinking on anyone, just sharing how i feel about using the forum.

Shoot, back when I could use it on my laptop and phone I spent the bulk majority of my beesource time on real chat. The forum chatbox is a joke in comparison. You don't have a clue who is on or when you might get an answer.

I use to have several friends on beesource chat that I could SEE were on and would talk to them and catch up on bee stuffs and some life things. I know some folks don't use it, but they are missing out.

Not just for privacy, the environment is closed so promotes more user interaction from more people, I think. Other than that, I'm stage shy.

What is a discord server? I'll have to look into it. One obstacle is going to be the learning curve. AND, I'm trying to be an old dog, no learning new tricks and grouchy as I can get away with.

Besides, it should be incorporated into the beesource community, and in my searching so far, there are freebies out there. But I got tired of looking and comparing and I get not bothering with the trouble since there is a chat box in the forum page.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee's Bees LLC View Post
    Shoot, back when I could use it on my laptop and phone I spent the bulk majority of my beesource time on real chat. The forum chatbox is a joke in comparison. You don't have a clue who is on or when you might get an answer.

I use to have several friends on beesource chat that I could SEE were on and would talk to them and catch up on bee stuffs and some life things. I know some folks don't use it, but they are missing out.
    Ya Kamon, it's the real resource of beesource... did you see what I did there? LOL

Life changes, if I don't roll with the changes then I get left standing on the roadside. That's just life.

Discord is a way to chat online, it brings up a window where you can talk voice, talk text, share files, stream. I use it when playing online games as a voice comms. Just make your own server, name it whatever, add people you want. I keep up with a lot of people I went to college with on it, people I've met. It's like Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, or Mumble. Build your own community, BeeMaster used to have their own Ventrilo for voice comms. It sounds like what you want this forum to do. Invite whoever you want.

I'm not trying to drive people away from the wonderful chat that works so well here, I'm just pointing out other options that would probably be vastly superior to anything a forum has available

Rwurster,
    So do you have a link to share that I can get more info on this? I can't seem to sort through them all on the internet that comes up with a search. Is there a link to place that shows what and how to set this up?

I sent you a pm with a link to mine so you could have a quick look see, Im in there. You have to dl the program first then the link should open it, you might have to register a name first. I've had it for years, I don't remember but its easy to use. Lots of people use it as its as good as TS or Vent but free.

Edit: There's a Discord app for phones and tablets also. I use it extensively when traveling to talk to family. It worked from anywhere USA and Europe via wifi or mobile data.
    Last edited by rwurster; 04-06-2018 at 08:14 PM.

Being in it's own private window, is not about privacy, it's about seeing who is in to chat at the moment, like Kamon said above. It has a user list of those logged into it and so if anyone is on the list, then you know they are there to chat real time. That is the biggest feature that makes it so sought after by at least some of us. I think that's the failing in the chatbox, no one knows when someone is there to be chatting real time to. You make a post out into the atmosphere and hope and pray you get an answer, and most times you don't or it's delayed a day. Shoot, may as well just use the forums then huh? Chat box is a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    Ya Kamon, it's the real resource of beesource... did you see what I did there? LOL

Life changes, if I don't roll with the changes then I get left standing on the roadside. That's just life.
    haha I saw that. I guess I am going to have to start "rolling" and get a new computer or stick my thumb out and hopefully get a lift....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234