Skeps - Looking for Manufacturer

Default Skeps - Looking for Manufacturer

I am looking for a manufacturer / supplier of Authentic Full Size and Functional Skeps. These are not for actual use, but for an installation. If anyone knows of a company that still makes Authentic Skeps please let me know.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Skeps - Looking for Manufacturer

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the 'authentic' part, but Glory Bee (Canada) sell skeps ...

https://glorybee.com/straw-beehive-s...xxBxoCxbnw_wcB
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

By Authentic, I mean ones that are the same manufacture as Skeps actually used before the laws changed in most of North America.. The Glory Bee ones look nice, they are a bit on the small side. I was looking for Skeps about double that size.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Scott View Post
    By Authentic, I mean ones that are the same manufacture as Skeps actually used before the laws changed in most of North America.. The Glory Bee ones look nice, they are a bit on the small side. I was looking for Skeps about double that size.
    the link Rader provided for you does have a link for larger sizes in wholesale purchases, minimum $200C purchase.

Because straw skeps are not convenient to use and still stay within the inspection laws in most of N. America, making them has become an artisan's craft, and you will pay artisan's prices for them. Charles Kennard in California is said to be the best in US (same Charles Kennard that was photographer for the Beatles in their early years).

Skeps do have a certain following in Europe though, and my Googling found several available in UK.

Or perhaps a local basket-weaver would be able to steer you to a skep maker, or build some for you .

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

Build some yourself? I've seen some youtube vids of skep building. It isn't complicated, but will take some time. You can make them any size you like, and there will be no question on the authenticity.