Couple Questions about Traps

Default Couple Questions about Traps

I built some traps out of (2) 8 frame medium boxes and to finish them up I have a couple questions

1. I want to drill the entrance hole on the long side of the box, does this matter? should it be on the short side? Should the entrance be in the lower center of the wall, toward one end?

2. I am going to run foundationless frames in the trap, should I put frames in both boxes or just the top box?

I am open to any other suggestions or tips as well, Always BEE learning

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Couple Questions about Traps

A couple quick pictures of what I am working with
    20170406_063915.jpg
    20170406_063908.jpg

Personally, I don't believe end or side much matters, mine are toward the corners; no special reason, just where it was drilled. I would suggest having at least one low, had water get into one of the traps and it filled the box to the height of the lower hole. Use 1/2" screen over the hole or ensure the frames block birds from direct entrance.

Good question on frames in the top or bottom box. I only use 10 frame bait boxes with maybe 5 frames added; since they tend to do exactly what you don't want, not sure if they would prefer to build comb on the roof or off the bottom of the frames. Therefore I'd probably arrange the frames vertically if I was going to use a lesser than max quantity.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

i never thought about not filling the top box.

I guess I am wondering since I am using (2) medium boxes should I fill both boxes with foundationless frames or leave the bottom box empty? I don't want it to "feel" to small.

I am just returning to bee keeping as an adult and don't have comb to use plus I have never trapped bees. I also only have medium frames.
    Last edited by TRIPOINT; 04-07-2017 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Added info

I am leaning toward putting all 16 frames in, 8 in both boxes with the entrance drilled in the side.

Do you think the bees with "feel" like it is to small having to fly around/though the frames?

Thanks

I mean this with all respect, don't over think it. I believe they'll think it's a fine place with or without frames.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Eikel

Trust me you are not the first person to say that to me, I am an over thinker, no offense taken.

We will see what happens, traps will go up this week and hopefully I can report back that I have caught something

Best of luck. It's still early here but scouts are out and visiting potential sites