Can't find the queen during nuc sell.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Can't find the queen during nuc sell....

Brushy Mtn carboard nucs have individual frame slots, so there is no shift in transport. Also, they are well ventilated.
    South Texas Apiaries, LLC
    www.Facebook.com/SouthTexasApiaries

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Once upon a time up this way, nucs were regularly delivered in wooden nuc boxes. The buyer would pay a refundable deposit on the nuc box. As I recall, the practice came to an end because of a convergence of events: waxed cardboard nuc boxes became commercially available and the typical $10 deposit wasn't high enough to ensure provided nuc boxes were promptly returned. I imagine a few still follow this practice - I have no idea if the deposit amount ever changed.

I've been keeping bees since the turn of the century and haven't ever run into frame exchange - though I certainly know about the concept.

Well, the mystery is solved. Stealthy hussy.

The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

We use the cardboard box.The morning before selling the nuc we shake the bees off the brood we want in the nucs and place it above an excluder and come back in the late afternoon and put the brood in the nuc. We find the queen, mark her and put her in with the brood. We screen the top so they can see the amount of bees in the box without having bees escaping. So far we've never had a problem.
    I do like the idea of newspaper to keep the frames tight. We have used wood but the paper is easier i'm sure. I also like the idea of a push in cage. Probably try that and see how long that takes.

How many bees do you put in a nuc along with the queen? Do you just go by frames or do you add by weight?
    Zone 5B

I prepare my nucs on the eve, put them in their dedicated transport box. Even, usually, for the few clients that insist on bringing their own supers to transfer the frames in. The only time this happened to me, I just told him "well, I put her in this box yesterday, not sure what the hell's going on and why I can't find her. Bring it back home, and if there's no egg in a week, I'll ship you a new one". Sure enough, there were still eggs a week later, it was just a really ninja queen.
    www.apisrustica.com Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens
    www.facebook.com/Apis.rustica

It is starting to seem like what I know as a nuc is not the same as what is intended in recent posts on this thread. To me a nuc is a mini colony; a laying queen (new this year or last, depending if over wintered or not), workers, drones, eggs, larvae, capped brood. The eggs and larvae are always from the provided queen, much of the capped brood too (and food!) The adding bees bit confuses me. I might add additional bees to a new nuc when the nuc was first made if I was planning on keeping the nuc in the same yard as the parent hive(s). Otherwise two frames of brood and attached bees, a frame of pollen, a frame of honey, and a frame of foundation. (for a 5 framer)

Our five frame nucs are three frames of brood one frame of feed and a blank frame usually drawn or in the process of being drawn. Wouldn't matter to me if it was just foundation. We add bees if the amount of bees on the brood does not make the new nuc strong strong enough. Most people are going to 10 frame boxes and I want a lot of bees in there to give them a better chance at success. I want to sell nucs I would buy myself. We do our best to not put any drone brood in the nuc.
    Two frames of brood are not enough for a five frame. We would consider that a four frame nuc.

My idea of nucs are made 3-5 weeks before delivery. I should have made that clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    It is starting to seem like what I know as a nuc is not the same as what is intended in recent posts on this thread. To me a nuc is a mini colony; a laying queen (new this year or last, depending if over wintered or not), workers, drones, eggs, larvae, capped brood. The eggs and larvae are always from the provided queen, much of the capped brood too (and food!) The adding bees bit confuses me. I might add additional bees to a new nuc when the nuc was first made if I was planning on keeping the nuc in the same yard as the parent hive(s). Otherwise two frames of brood and attached bees, a frame of pollen, a frame of honey, and a frame of foundation. (for a 5 framer)
    you are correct, many nucs are simply put " splits" from a larger colony.

My idea of nucs are made 3-5 weeks before delivery. I should have made that clearer.
    Yes sir Andrew that makes a difference for sure. They would be plenty big by then. We are pulling the overwintered queens and brood to stop swarming and get them girls honey minded. Works pretty good.

It sounds like you are thinking that others in all these posts are adding bees from different colonies, no?

Overwintered nucs cant and wont stay mini, all the way till its time to let them go. They usually develop into 10 or even 20 frame colonies by April. And when you are selling off only 5 frames and the queen, you have plenty of her bees to shake into the buyers box, if you feel the need.
    www.facebook.com/hives2honey Oxalic Vaporizers, supplement and more!!!!!! Check me out.

I didn't make a split from a larger colony. I reduced a 5 over 5 nuc to 6 frames. My buyer got way more than I've ever got when I bought a 5 frame nuc. They got 5 frames of brood and one frame of pollen and honey. I could have put it in a 10 frame box a month ago and sold it as a 10 frame hive by now.

I don't know that anyone's intentions are to say that I am misleading them by what I sold them but I assure you that is not what I did or intended to do. They got way more bang for their buck than most nuc buyers do. Every bee in the hive is the offspring of the 2015 queen that's heading the hive. 5 of the 6 frames that went with the nucs were comb drawn by the bees in the hive. I did include one frame that was used to start the split that made the nuc.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Thats how i sell my overw. nuc. They get 3-4 frames of brood and 1-2 frames of stores. All drawn.

I keep the rest for what will then be a walk a way. I come back when cells are capped and choose best looking ones and manage as i see fit. I can choose to split off again if strong enough or not.

As me and the buyer are doing this, i explain how i do it and some know how easy it is and some do not. Its what i do and when All those nucs get going, i can choose to sell them off or whatever i choose. I will by then have selected my breeder queen and graft from that point on.
    www.facebook.com/hives2honey Oxalic Vaporizers, supplement and more!!!!!! Check me out.

I sure don't have time for that. Wish I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillybees View Post
    I sure don't have time for that. Wish I did.
    seems like you go to each hive twice as well, so what time are you saving?

I use a push in cage on every one I sell. Learned my lesson early.
    Nor do I like to close up a nuc in the evening or early morning for people. They don't show or they say they will bee here early and show up in the late afternoon. I tell them they can come early morning but at 9 I will open them back up. I explain in detail they will lose some foragers. Some want to see the queen. I pull the frame and show them her in the push in cage.
    I won't sell any with less than 4 1/2 frames and usually all 5 drawn.
    I tell them when they get the bees to the new location to open it, look at the queen and pull the cage.
    I don't want your frames and I don't want the box back.
    I don't mind chit chatting a bit but I am a busy guy. More than 15 minutes I politely explain they are welcome to talk while we work. Interestingly some people are excited to help.
    Had father daughter come one time. They stayed to help. We checked mating nucs for eggs and queens. That little gal could spot a queen, I mean it was crazy. I told here she was very good at this, she said, "well they look totally different, just look for the one that is different than the rest"
    " Every apiary starts with the first hive"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12