Double nuc, a nod to Mike Palmer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Double nuc, a nod to Mike Palmer

I wanted to put this out here because I know praise makes a body energized. While Mike Palmer has completely denied being the inventor of this concept the double nuc resource hive is a fixture of the sustainable apiary. This concept was developed by Brother Adam. My research on this topic was so compelling that I had to have one in my yard as well. This Saturday I will split a package across the two sides of the hive box and let them get busy. I am really interested in the outcomes. I suspect this will become my favorite hive and I will no longer rob resources from my production hives to help along the weak or starting hives.

Mike, I know you read these posts. If I have the research correct they put the brood against the divider and the honey on the outside. When I put the package in I plan to give them each a honey frame on the lower outside to help keep them fixed, avoiding the absconding. I have prepped a couple of nuc hive top feeders (I had to cut down the ears on the long side to 5/16 so they stack on the commercial equipment I bought.) drilled a few fine holes in the bottom board for moisture drains, if I have any and painted the box up. The youngest even adorned it. So here it is in all its glory. Mike, I hope things are going well at French Hill Apiaries!

Resource Hive.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Double nuc, a nod to Mike Palmer

I thought I remembered Micheal saying he traced the double nuc concept back before Brother Adam.
    Either way, I found it through Micheal. It's a great apiary plan.
    "In all honesty, I don't think any of us know what were doing. Just what we've done."

I would like to thank Mike too. Finding and spreading the information around takes a lot of work. I had my first bees in the early 70s just a kid then with no good information on how to keep bees or raise queens, packages only cost me 7.50 my one hive lasted for 5 years before it died. Now I have bees again because of him making increase, honey and wax. The next step queen rearing, grafting putting together a cell builder and sharing all that I've learned.

I am not mike and don't play mike on tv. So if I am wrong with what I attribute to mike, I give my opoligies in advance. I think mike in his vidio puts the frame of honey against the divider cause the bees will move it and use it to build comb.

Addams might have invented it but mike has promoted it with modern day proof of concept and kept it in front of the bee keeping comunity. He has given a whole new generation of bee keepers a tactic that can help them with live examples for them to judge rather then having to reinvent the wheel for themselves.

Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Also Mike's YouTube videos are awesome.... He talks about building the nuc around the 50 minute mark.....

Michael Palmer HCBA 3 26 16 Session 2
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by thesecurityeagle View Post
    I wanted to put this out here...

Resource Hive.jpg
    Can you elaborate on your current configuration and the reasoning behind it? It looks like you have a deep and two nucs directly above that deep. Does the deep have a follower board that aligns with each nuc? It also looks like you have a queen excluder above de nucs.

Quote Originally Posted by JeronimoJC View Post
    Can you elaborate on your current configuration and the reasoning behind it? It looks like you have a deep and two nucs directly above that deep. Does the deep have a follower board that aligns with each nuc? It also looks like you have a queen excluder above de nucs.
    The unpainted wood that appears to be an excluder is actually the inner covers. The deep above is sitting up there from when it was getting painted. Its drying, the little bees painted on the hive are drying as well. That was a month ago. Its knocked down now. Sorry for the confusion, good eye by the way.

And since he missed your question regarding the lower box, it is a divided deep, and does have the two nucs above it. A divider board inside to bottom box lines up under the seam where the two nucs meet. This creates two separate nuc hives within the footprint of a single deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumpy View Post
    And since he missed your question regarding the lower box, it is a divided deep, and does have the two nucs above it. A divider board inside to bottom box lines up under the seam where the two nucs meet. This creates two separate nuc hives within the footprint of a single deep.
    Exactly, yes. Thanks Gumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumpy View Post
    OP, sounds like you are getting two queens with that package too. I am just wondering if it may be best to not give them that much brood space to start with given it is just one package. You could remove the two nucs from the system and use a queen excluder on top of the deep and below the super. Once the brood nest gets large enough you can insert the nucs in the middle. Just a thought.

TTT - I wanted to provide an update on this topic. I now have a couple of these in each yard. They NEVER disappoint. I had one of my local followers (He is new and is shadowing me in my yards to get the information he needs to start next year. I have another person who shadows me on the alternate weekend as well) in one of my yards yesterday and I needed a frame of open brood to secure a swarm that had come in from the wild (I watched them fly in). The frame was right there like magic. These double nucs are like bee factories and I have given away two of these woodenware set ups to other beekeepers in my county and they are absolutely loving them. Interesting side effect that I was not counting on in my honey plan was the volume of deeps they could turn out fully capped. It was a very pleasant unexpected find. I highly recommend this set up if you do not have one. This is the anchor of a sustainable apiary program. I know Brother Adam developed these at Buckfast Abbey but I want to thank Mike Palmer for sharing this and pointing me to the sustainable apiary program. Cant say enough about the value to your apiary and the pleasure these colonies are to work with.

Very informative thread. Guessing Michael is not on Beesource much lately?
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

follows the seasons
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

Funny thing...I never saw the previous posts. Thanks for the kind words. Truly, nucs are the foundation of my sustainable apiary. Last graft was July 10. 56 cell builders harvested...well, 55. One was destroyed by rogue virgin. We finished making nucs a couple weeks ago. 350 done. And all the resources came from brood factories. I'd be sunk without them.

Now we have this honey crop to harvest. OMG what a flow. Started with Dandelion/Fruit bloom. Almost two supers. Sumac and Basswood were awesome. Many colonies with 4-6 mediums heavy. Who says all the spring rain sunk us? We're not growing corn. My old top average was 135. Might break it this year.

I haven't got one of these brood factories built yet, but your information on overwintering in nucleus hives has been very valuable to me over the years Michael Palmer!
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

I also have went the route of double nucs thanks to Michael. This is my second season. I have 3 double nucs right now. Two of them are 4x4x4x4 and one 4x4x4x4x4. They are doing well. I have not had any swarm problems with them. I just put another nuc with foundation on top with a couple frames rotated up from the lower box and a couple foundation put back down in the lower box. It seems to have worked quite well. Last week I pulled a couple frames of mostly capped brood out of one side of the 4x4x4x4x4 and put them in a deep to help out a swarm I captured a few weeks ago. I will probably winter them all as 4x4x4. I still have a couple of colonies that are made from splits that will need helped out and one in a single deep that I want to put another deep on. It is really nice to have the resources to do this because of the double nucs.
    Zone 4a

1. How to make a double nuc, exactly? Do I just nail a piece of wood in the middle of a 10 frame box?

2. How do you stop the queens from crossing between the two 10 frame boxes?

- there's going to be a small space where the two boxes sit on top of one another.

1. How to make a double nuc, exactly? Do I just nail a piece of wood in the middle of a 10 frame box? Before box assembly, I run a dado blade down the middle of the end set at 1/8 in, OR after assembly I run a router bit down the end board of the box; then slide appropriate width plywood down in the grove.

2. How do you stop the queens from crossing between the two 10 frame boxes?

- there's going to be a small space where the two boxes sit on top of one another.
    Make your ply divider tall so it eliminates the top gap. You use a special built bottom board for this set-up eliminating the lower gap.

Yes, many thanks to MP for bringing this system to my attention, the funny thing is now that I am aware of it, I see it discussed in older books. CC Miller was a fan back in 1910's.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Funny thing...I never saw the previous posts. Thanks for the kind words. Truly, nucs are the foundation of my sustainable apiary. Last graft was July 10. 56 cell builders harvested...well, 55. One was destroyed by rogue virgin. We finished making nucs a couple weeks ago. 350 done. And all the resources came from brood factories. I'd be sunk without them.

Now we have this honey crop to harvest. OMG what a flow. Started with Dandelion/Fruit bloom. Almost two supers. Sumac and Basswood were awesome. Many colonies with 4-6 mediums heavy. Who says all the spring rain sunk us? We're not growing corn. My old top average was 135. Might break it this year.
    I would not be where I am at today with beekeeping if it was not for Mike Palmer and Adrian Quiney. Thank you both. I tried the brood factories this year and they got away from me. Ran out of comb to add to them. There will be about 70 nucs going into winter. Bees are looking good.

It amazing how an over winter colony can produce 4-6+ supers worth of honey. Ran out of boxes mid season and had get more.

Mitch
    River Falls, WI

Quote Originally Posted by mitch30 View Post
    I would not be where I am at today with beekeeping if it was not for Mike Palmer and Adrian Quiney. Thank you both. I tried the brood factories this year and they got away from me. Ran out of comb to add to them. There will be about 70 nucs going into winter. Bees are looking good.

It amazing how an over winter colony can produce 4-6+ supers worth of honey. Ran out of boxes mid season and had get more.

Mitch
    River Falls, WI

Is there any easy way to convert an existing 10 frame double deep setup into a double nuc setup?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast