Swarm sprayed, is trap, hive and frames safe to re-use ??

Default Swarm sprayed, is trap, hive and frames safe to re-use ??

Have a swarm that was sprayed before it moved into my trap. You couldn't tell there was a problem when you saw them going into the trap.

The morning of day 3 they were moved into a hive.

There has been major bee loss. The loss is not much as of yesterday.

At least some of the bees that are pulling thru are getting better. Not as much being upside down. More able to walk in a straight line. A tiny bit of flying.

They had a frame of honey that they have used. They had been building comb too. I have not done a good inspection as the less I disturb them the better for them to recover - so I hope they recover. Since they are doing better, I'm hopeful.

They have syrup. I have them screened in 99.5% as in their current state they could not defend against a butterfly, much less a bunch of robbers.

So

My question is - the trap, the hive, the frames that the bees have been on. Is it safe to re-use these ?? Other than giving them a good bleach-water bath - is there anything else that would be a good thing to do ??

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Swarm sprayed, is trap, hive and frames safe to re-use ??

It all depends on what they were sprayed with.

That is unknown of course. Definitely that would help for sure.

Know they moved into the trap OK. Were ok 50 hours later when I moved them into the hive.

The hive was used last year for first time. the frames are new and the foundation is mostly new with extra wax I added from old comb I had here.

If you are able to find out what they were sprayed with, that would of course help.

Lacking that information, my approach would be to treat the bees as sick/wounded, and if the bees are able to pull through, not worry too much about the hive they are in. If the bees don't survive, I would see if they have done much to the comb - discarding it if they have or disinfecting it as you described in your OP. I haven't had a need to do any disinfecting and don't know how frames/comb are afterwards. I also do not know if the disinfecting procedure you described is appropriate and effective for what was sprayed. It is a gamble.

Andrew - thank you. Yes, if I knew where they came from or where they stopped en route - Might be able to find out more.
    Your original reply was quite right and has had me thinking more about it.

I know disinfecting a trap does no harm. Well rinsed and sun time afterwards of course. Really not so sure about comb or foundation that has not been drawn out yet.

Have been thinking today, pretty much same as you, that since some of them are doing better - treat them as a sick hive. Give additional resources to help replace what has been lost and see how it goes. Hopefully they will recover and as you say I need not worry then.

If not - well, the woodenware maybe can save - the frames - maybe not worth risking - or might try a frame or two to see if the bees will work it or not also. Is gamble and an experiment too.