Queen cells in a New Package of bees?

Default Queen cells in a New Package of bees?

Hello. Why would I see queen cells in a package of bees only installed a week ago? These were large queen cells with larvae and royal jelly. Throughout the rest of the hive, I only saw evidence of fresh eggs...no larvae. This occurred on few packages I installed. It is a head scratcher to me. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen cells in a New Package of bees?

Your bees want to supercede/replace your newly purchased queen. I would let them personally. The bees may tear them down, the existing queen and daughter may coexist for some time. Or your existing queen is a dud and her workers know it and she needs replaced. Bees tend to supercede a queen that departs with a swarm too so this is not unnatural. It is hard but I have learned its best to let this one be.

Makes sense. I'm just surprised an egg was laid and became a larvae so quick when all I saw throughout rest of hive was fresh eggs in this new package. Will the queen and daughter both lay viable eggs during this time of coexisting?

Probably an imbalance in population. If you have a frame of eggs and larvae from another hive to give them it may help.

Michael Palmer has a great video that talks about packages superseding, but what you describe seems more like a natural replacement. I'd let this proceed. Hopefully the old queen will continue to lay.

Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_-jNK18aYY The real insight on packages comes on about 4:00 into the video.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/