A shift in message? The case for IPM instead of bond as the path to TF for new back y - Page 42
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Default Re: A shift in message? The case for IPM instead of bond as the path to TF for new ba

i appreciate you having brought the videos to our attention msl.

like with their advances in the understanding and management of efb, it appears that the europeans are making a more organized effort with respect to breeding for mite resistance than we are here in the u.s.

juhani, forgive me if you have already posted about it but are you doing any collaborating with either the arista or the kirchhain groups? i thought i heard finland mentioned in one of dr. buchler's videos.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: A shift in message? The case for IPM instead of bond as the path to TF for new ba

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    juhani, forgive me if you have already posted about it but are you doing any collaborating with either the arista or the kirchhain groups? i
    No I´m not.

Kirchhain group is for carnica breeders only.

Arista is doing this VSH breeding with one-drone-insemination system and artificial contamination of nucs. I have a timetable problem with our short summer.

Arista group beekeepers are mostly all treating, and they hope that the high enough VSH%(SMR%) bees will be all right without treatments when released to public use and mite pressure form outside. I would not be so sure, but anyhow, it is good that there are many approaches to varroa resistance breeding, the more the better: every different breeding approach will come up with a different surviving strategy of bees, good for the future in terms of inbreeding and versatility.

So far, I got 3 packages in the spring (2019) and installed them with stores. I did the same OAV (oxalic) treatments on all of them. I did 1 OAV 3 weeks after install. They replaced their queens 1 month later. I did 3 rounds of 4 OAV treatments starting in late summer, then 1 round of 2 treatments (on 12/23, 12/24).

I did a heavy open feeding + sugar bricks in late fall. They started winter with 4 mediums. The top mediums were added late with empty comb and frames. I This winter, the low was around 0 degrees F. They always fly above 45 F with no rain. Last week, I did my 1 winter check. They look as big as in the fall. They ate the bricks. I'm adding 4 lb bricks around 2/28. I ordered 2 TF queens from Troy Hall (nhbeekeeper.com). I will multiply the Hall queens. Excluders should help to keep the package drones from mating. I should have all good queens by Fall 2020. Then, I'm going to treat 1/3 of my hives.
    David Smolinski USDA hardiness zone 6b

interesting. thanks for the update dave.

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142