warre colony recently swarmed

Default warre colony recently swarmed

I am in second year with feral colony with 2 boxes full of bees they swarmed last week and left hive empty of stores and guessing about 30 to 40 percent bees remaining. I opened hive and was able to pull a couple of frames which had numerous queen cells but no capped brood on frames inspected. Bees are working hard as weather has been good, but I am seeing very little pollen being brought in at entrance. I am located in zone 7 south Arkansas and there is a good flow at this time. My questions are should I feed anything sugar water or pollen patty? And should i worry about requeening.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: warre colony recently swarmed

I would feed them them light syrup 1-1, until the new queen situation is settled. The new brood will need pollen and if the forage force is gone, might be safe to add a small pollen patty. Biggest problem with pollen patties is the SHB love em and will ruin it to the point the bees will refuse to eat it so make the serving size small and check to see if the bees are eating it. If they don't want it, toss it. My chickens love it.

Hope this helps
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm USDA zone 7a

Thanks Neill. I went ahead and put the syrup in this afternoon and I will try the pollen patty. I have some soy flour and brewers yeast. Do you have favorite recipe? Where is Parthenon? I'm in Arkadelphia.

We're in Newton County, northwest. I have used Mann lake pro. I just mix it with 2-1 syrup until its the consistency of sloppy peanut butter. There are a lot of recipes on the net but I haven't tried any of them. Put an ice cream scoop worth on a piece of wax paper on the top bars. They will start tossing out the paper when its gone.
    Neill
    Herbhome Farm USDA zone 7a

Thanks Neil. Supposed to be a warm day tomorrow, I will put a patty on top bar.