Permanent Three Box Hive

Default Permanent Three Box Hive

Hey folks! I have an AZ hive that I would like advice on managing. This hive is basically three 10 frame deeps that are permanently attached. Currently I have a package installed in the bottom "tier" with the queen excluder above that chamber. The queen has laid at least five frames of last year's comb very tightly (very happy with that).

This configuration would allow 10 deep frames for brood and 20 for honey.

Would the other way around be wiser? 20 frames for brood and the top chamber for honey?

Any thoughts or advice would help. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Permanent Three Box Hive

Quote Originally Posted by IanCorey View Post
    Hey folks! I have an AZ hive that I would like advice on managing. This hive is basically three 10 frame deeps that are permanently attached. Currently I have a package installed in the bottom "tier" with the queen excluder above that chamber. The queen has laid at least five frames of last year's comb very tightly (very happy with that).

This configuration would allow 10 deep frames for brood and 20 for honey.

Would the other way around be wiser? 20 frames for brood and the top chamber for honey?

Any thoughts or advice would help. Thanks!
    Hello Ian, I have been curious about AZ hives and I don't know of many on the Beesource forums that run them. I have followed the AZ Hivers facebook page for the last year plus and that might be a better place to get info on running them.

Rich
    www.capitalbeesupply.com
    Manufacturers and Purveyors of Fine Beekeeping Equipment

Ian a lot depends on the local flow.
    Do you have a fast and furious flow like black locust? or is is a long and slow wild flower flow?
    With black locust you need as many foragers as you can get to pull in the honey as fast as you can, because the flow is only 10 days and it is a huge flow.
    http://steve4bees.us

I would think it would need to be the other way around where you are using 20 for brood, 10 for honey. Using only 10 frames for brood would make swarming a constant threat.

Having just that much more space, is one reason i went with 11 frame wide hives for the ones I build and sell, that 10% more makes a difference.

With a "fast and furious flow like black locust" you need the 2 chambers of frames just to produce the workers to forage the honey.
    With a slow flow, 1 chamber is enough.
    In both you manage the swarm pressure by swapping out brood for honey outside the lower level or making nucs.
    One thing about AZ's you need to manage them. and be in the hive every 7-10 days outside of the cold season.

Quote Originally Posted by steve4bees View Post
    Ian a lot depends on the local flow.
    Do you have a fast and furious flow like black locust? or is is a long and slow wild flower flow?
    With black locust you need as many foragers as you can get to pull in the honey as fast as you can, because the flow is only 10 days and it is a huge flow.
    http://steve4bees.us
    I wish my bees would look at the black locust blooms in my house. All I see on the three trees at home, are native bees and bumblebees.

I wish I had Black Locust for my bees to look at! LOL!

What else is in bloom around that time that could tempt the honey bees away from the black locust!

Next time it is in bloom, try the following. Catch a few foragers in a plastic container, take them to the blooms and let them go on the flowers. This has worked for me in the past with other flowers.