BeeWeaver bees

Thread: BeeWeaver bees

Default BeeWeaver bees

On the site they state "Our bees have not needed ANY mite treatments since 2001. When a BeeWeaver Queen heads your colony you will enjoy chemical free beekeeping, like the good old days!" They also say: "BeeWeaver honeybees will not succumb to Varroa mite infestation or honey bee virus infections. In fact, there is no need to apply chemical treatments to suppress Varroa destructor infestation in hives headed by Bee Weaver queens."

I am curious if anyone has any queen's from them, and if they are treatment free with no mite problems with this line of bees? If they are that good I may have to get a queen to try out this year.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: BeeWeaver bees

Yes I have beeweaver queens and no they can not survive the mites with my long winter.
    That said they are much more resistant than the other bees I had. If you live in the south I would think they will survive it's just to long of a winter where I live.

I got two beeweaver queens last spring. They built up well and have come out of the winter very strong. They were very frugal and had a lot of honey left over. However, one year is not long to evaluate them, and we barely had a winter this year. I'm anxious to see what happens this season. And, they're not what I would call aggressive, but they are more defensive than my other bees.

Yes, they are mite resistant, no, they are not as mite resistant as the line of bees I have maintained for the last 12 years. They range from moderately to highly defensive defensive where highly defensive means full suit and plenty of smoke before opening. They tend to issue usurpation swarms from early August until late September. I do not recommend keeping these bees if your hives are in a public area or if children will play near them.

With all that said, I have a very good second generation queen from a BWeaver queen purchased in 2015. When crossed to drones from my bees, they gentled down and turned into a manageable colony. I plan to raise several queens from her this year.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

I've got RWeaver queens, and have been quite happy, but I'm more interested in a calm bee that will cohabit with me and my dachsunds in our backyard, and I'm willing to do OAV treatment to help them along.
    Never argue with drunks or crazy people!
    Life Lessons with Dogs, Bees, and Others

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Man View Post
    I've got RWeaver queens, and have been quite happy, but I'm more interested in a calm bee that will cohabit with me and my dachsunds in our backyard, and I'm willing to do OAV treatment to help them along.
    R weaver didn't put their bees through the crash and recover that beeweaver did totally differant bees now.

Thanks for the laugh! Is there a truth in advertising law that applies to livestock, or is this just considered puffing?

Put in 3 BWeaver last July. Thought all 3 were going to make it but one died with the last cold spell in Feb. I treated everything with Apiguard last Aug. and Sept. My mite counts were all low in Nov. We'll see how they do this year.

I like the folk who run both apiaries. Of course, their genetics are similar since the come from the same family roots, and they are all friendly and good natured.

The apiaries are close to each other, so I'd surprised if there wasn't some cross-breeding (the bees, not the cousins).

I like that the RWeaver folk are upfront about the All American bees no longer having pure genetics. And, as I pointed out above, my goals are different (calm vs resistance).

My neighbors across the street have BeeWeaver bees. I'll be watching them.

I was a little confused about the advice they got: Start with the buckfast queen that came with the nuc, and then add a new BeeWeaver queen in September. I'm not sure why.

>Start with the buckfast queen that came with the nuc, and then add a new BeeWeaver queen in September. I'm not sure why.

Probably trying to avoid a supersedure. The queen might be fine until you get her daughter as queen. Her daughter may be an F1 cross with the Texas AHBs.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am on the fence to try a queen from them or not. It's only $46 with shipping, but if they are good at keeping mites at bay it may be worth it. Decisions, decisions lol

Quote Originally Posted by QueenlessDrone View Post
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I am on the fence to try a queen from them or not. It's only $46 with shipping, but if they are good at keeping mites at bay it may be worth it. Decisions, decisions lol
    I got 4 last year and I got one that is going to be a breeder. We have finally a warm day and her hive is looking great. Get more than one because some are better than others. Only 2 of the 4 are still with me winter has made its selection for me.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenlessDrone View Post
    It's only $46 with shipping
    Only?? I guess everything is relative...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >Start with the buckfast queen that came with the nuc, and then add a new BeeWeaver queen in September. I'm not sure why.

Probably trying to avoid a supersedure. The queen might be fine until you get her daughter as queen. Her daughter may be an F1 cross with the Texas AHBs.
    We run a lot of BeeWeaver stock - nothing is bullet proof but they survive better with minimal or no treatments than any other of the purchased queens we've used. We've also been selecting from that stock and raising our own queens, open mated daughters haven't had an issue with temperament. Conditions in Texas are a lot different than they were 20 years ago. The majority of the suspected AHBs we see are newbies who can't keep a smoker lit while smashing bees on inspections. While we do encounter hot bees from time-to-time, testing for AHB is no longer routinely done.

BeeWeaver makes no claim as to having Buckfast bees. They do sell early season nucs with Italian (commercial queens out of Hawaii I think) that they recommend be replaced should someone wish to have the mite tolerant characteristics of their namesake.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckReburn View Post
    We run a lot of BeeWeaver stock - nothing is bullet proof but they survive better with minimal or no treatments than any other of the purchased queens we've used. We've also been selecting from that stock and raising our own queens, open mated daughters haven't had an issue with temperament. Conditions in Texas are a lot different than they were 20 years ago. The majority of the suspected AHBs we see are newbies who can't keep a smoker lit while smashing bees on inspections. While we do encounter hot bees from time-to-time, testing for AHB is no longer routinely done.

BeeWeaver makes no claim as to having Buckfast bees. They do sell early season nucs with Italian (commercial queens out of Hawaii I think) that they recommend be replaced should someone wish to have the mite tolerant characteristics of their namesake.
    Thanks for the clarification.