Illinois - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Illinois

Default Re: Illinois

there is a lot of mites and wrinkled wined larvae. I expect the hive to die this winter, but would like to give them a fighting chance
    I know your question was specific to the hive successfully generating an emergency queen but I'm curious to the rationale of how removing the current queen will give the hive a fighting chance?
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I would not requeen at this point unless you have a mated queen in hand. You're looking at 16 days till a new queen would emerge, then she will wander the hive for several days before going out to mate. If she makes it back and if she is successfully mated, it will be at least another 21 days before any new bees emerge. Either do as much as you can to help them with this queen or get rid of the queen and combine the remaining bees with another hive over newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Eikel View Post
    I know your question was specific to the hive successfully generating an emergency queen but I'm curious to the rationale of how removing the current queen will give the hive a fighting chance?
    Forcing a break in brood. Then treating to kill off any mites on adult bees.
    I like the current queen, she really makes loads of eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by bjorn View Post
    I would not requeen at this point unless you have a mated queen in hand. You're looking at 16 days till a new queen would emerge, then she will wander the hive for several days before going out to mate. If she makes it back and if she is successfully mated, it will be at least another 21 days before any new bees emerge. Either do as much as you can to help them with this queen or get rid of the queen and combine the remaining bees with another hive over newspaper.
    Makes sense. Thanks. I am strongly considering the newspaper combine.

There's a beekeeper in Byron who does raise some queens. He teaches classes at the Jarrett Center. He usually raises queens in the summer, but I doubt he has any now. Plus, they would not be mated. He just grafts and raises cells.

Quote Originally Posted by bjorn View Post
    There's a beekeeper in Byron who does raise some queens. He teaches classes at the Jarrett Center. He usually raises queens in the summer, but I doubt he has any now. Plus, they would not be mated. He just grafts and raises cells.
    The Jarrett Center is a good local resource. I have not gotten involved there yet, but hope to have the time next spring. One of my neighbors keeps bees that were lent to them by Jarrett, and I believe they also get management help.

Jeff, who runs the classes is a sideline beekeeper with around 50 hives I believe. He's very knowledgeable, an excellent resource for info, and just a heck of a nice guy. They have meetings I believe the 2nd sunday every month at Jarrett.

Put some traps out last week. Checked today and two of them are being checked out by scouts. Very happy since I had total loss last winter. Too many mites, wrinkled wings, and not enough food.

Are any swarms being spotted in Northern Il yet? I am just south of Rockford.

I'm in Savanna IL ,have not seen swarms yet but pulled some capped queen cells out of a hive yesterday. How many hives did you lose .

Quote Originally Posted by Northern IL View Post
    I'm in Savanna IL ,have not seen swarms yet but pulled some capped queen cells out of a hive yesterday. How many hives did you lose .
    I had 5. Lost all 5. Mites, virus, and low food. The two I thought might make it got isolated during the January cold snap and starved out. The other three had bad mites/wrinkled wing that I treated too late to do much good.

On a happy note, I placed a bunch of bait hives last week and two of them have scouts in them. One has a good bunch; I counted twenty hanging out front, popping in and out and flying off and returning (I assume). High hopes for that one. The other one only has a few scouts and very likely are from the same home hive as the first one, as the locations are pretty close together. I caught two there last summer.

I am basically straight east of Savanna, so I would expect you to be seeing activity too.

I have bees! One of my traps now has an active colony, the same one that I saw a lot of scouts at a few days ago. Piles of yellow pollen coming in. It is so hot that most of the bees are just bearding, taking it easy for Memorial Day. It took a strong effort of will not to pop the top and look inside, but I succeeded. Just leave them alone for a few weeks to get a good start, I keep telling myself.

So basically we can say that the entire state is now in swarm season, since I am near the top of the state. I have two more traps to get out somewhere, all set up and ready to go.

Brought my trapped bees home a few days ago and put them in my back yard with a second deep on top. They now have a top entrance as well as the lower entrance. Within one day of putting the deep on top they had the top entrance half-blocked up, and now three days later it is almost entirely blocked except for three one-bee-wide holes and a narrow gap at the top. I guess they decided they didn't really need much space. I wonder how and why they decided that. I assume that when the top is fully occupied they can just as easily open that back up.
    Off to drive around the traps and see if I have any activity.

Maybe getting another swarm. I put a few traps in the yard around my house this year (got lazy and didn't place as many out and about). Went out this morning after I got home from work and there were several bees flying in and out. Possibly scavengers I thought, since the frames I put in had a few cells of honey. This evening I walked by again before going back to work and lots more bees were buzzing about the entrance very energetically. Hoping for the best and looking forward to getting off work this morning!

Lots of rain yesterday and storms predicted for the next few days so won't be able to check my other traps, too muddy.

It's March. Getting thinking about putting the traps out again. I used lemon grass oil the last two years and got a couple of swarms both years. Thinking about trying swarm commander this year.

I had a sad Fall. Beatles and moths and mites went wild and destroyed my hives. I treated the mites and reduced the unused space in my hives to try to help the bees have less territory to defend, but too late.

It is supposed to get down to about zero again tonight. I moved all my used equipment outdoors in hopes of killing off any moth larvae left over from last fall.

I just got a few swarm traps out today. It has been so wet that I have not been able to drive back to the woods. Last two days were rain-free with just a bit of sun so I decided to give it a try. Almost got stuck anyway! Last year I caught a swarm on May 28 in that location. This is the coldest, wettest Spring for a long while. I still have a few more traps to put up, but the weather for the rest of the week is for rain and storms every day.

I got a swarm at the end of May and it is really building up. Now filling up a second deep with nice brood pattern. I found the queen yesterday, an unmarked grey color. Most of the workers are quite dark, some nearly pure black. Very tame. I can open teh top and do some manipulations without any smoke, which is nice.
    Plan is to wait a bit until the second box is full them try a fly-back split and make some nucs. I have never made nucs before so I took an old 10-frmae deep and just cut it in half and added new sides.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    I got a swarm at the end of May and it is really building up. Now filling up a second deep with nice brood pattern. I found the queen yesterday, an unmarked grey color. Most of the workers are quite dark, some nearly pure black. Very tame. I can open teh top and do some manipulations without any smoke, which is nice.
    Plan is to wait a bit until the second box is full them try a fly-back split and make some nucs. I have never made nucs before so I took an old 10-frmae deep and just cut it in half and added new sides.
    Nice, AR.
    This coming weekend this is my project to do - two resources are going to be fly-back'ed.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

Quote Originally Posted by GregV View Post
    Nice, AR.
    This coming weekend this is my project to do - two resources are going to be fly-back'ed.
    Any tips?
    I have never tried anything but a walk-away split. I am thinking of making two 5-frame nucs with the bulk of the brood and supplies, and one ten-frame deep which will have the queen, one frame of eggs, one or two frames of pollen and honey.

I read some of Lauri Miller's old posts on making fly-back splits and want to give it a try.

When doing a fly back split with intent of making nucs, I prefer a two step process. Step one is to make the flyback as you described, moving the entire original hive to another location in your yard. You can even place it next to the flyback. Wait 10 days and THEN make your nucs with the frames containing the queen cells the still strong hive full of nurse bees has made. You get better fed queens this way. Divide up the remaining resources, bees, capped brood, frames, etc. as you see fit, but make sure each nuc gets plenty of stores.

Oops, just realized you were leaving eggs with the queen. Give her just one frame of capped brood and one partial frame of honey. Leave all the eggs in the original hive.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    When doing a fly back split with intent of making nucs, I prefer a two step process. Step one is to make the flyback as you described, moving the entire original hive to another location in your yard. You can even place it next to the flyback. Wait 10 days and THEN make your nucs with the frames containing the queen cells the still strong hive full of nurse bees has made. You get better fed queens this way. Divide up the remaining resources, bees, capped brood, frames, etc. as you see fit, but make sure each nuc gets plenty of stores.

Oops, just realized you were leaving eggs with the queen. Give her just one frame of capped brood and one partial frame of honey. Leave all the eggs in the original hive.
    I am missing something in your advice. Here is my plan:
    1. Identify the queen and sequester her briefly in a nuc while doing the remaining manipulations.
    2. Divide the hive's resources into nucs: honey, pollen and eggs, all covered in nurse bees. Need a strong population of nurse bees in each nuc. They will make queens from the eggs.
    3. Return queen, some brood and a few frames of food to the original hive in the original location with a lot of new, clean frames. All of the field bees will automatically return to the original location, but they will have to build a lot of new comb to allow the queen to start laying again. With the whole field bee force available they should build up again very quickly.
    4. Feed the nucs and original hive to encourage rapid growth and comb production.

My understanding is that this method allows the entire hive plus daughter nucs to get a brood break and hopefully cuts mite reproduction. It should also prevent swarming. No plan to take much honey this year.
    Have to watch the nucs carefully to make sure they re-queen.
    This sounds a little different from your advice. Any suggestions are welcome.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast