Illinois - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Illinois

Default Re: Illinois

cepek.......
    I am from MO but I like when you post your data and give your reasoning for the possible changes.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Sorry to her about your flooding. I live generally in the southern part of Lake County andI was fortunate not to flood. If you need some helpless us know.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyber View Post
    As some of you probably know, the Fox Lake area had a big flood. My backyard has water up to my knees (my house is fine). 2 of my 4 hives were in the deep water that was about 2 inches from the hive entrance. I moved one small hive and had to leave one 5 box hive where it was. I gave it an upper opening and hope the water does not rise anymore. Bees acted normal. I feel lucky because lots of flooded homes in the area.

Checked my dink hive yesterday. This one went into winter strong, and came out with maybe 500 bees total. I have pretty much left it be other than looking inside once in a while. The whole hive is one medium. Well they finally are starting to look better. Instead of two palm-sized patches of brood on facing frames, they actually have 2 frames full of brood. The entrance is starting to look normal, with a steady stream of bees in and out, not the few/minute I was seeing all spring. If they look good next week, I'll give them another box to build up into. I'd like to get a deep on top so I can have them in a deep next spring.

The two swarms caught look good so far. One was set up in 2 regular deeps and seems to be filling up the top deep now. They may even get a medium soon.
    The other one is still in the trap, an oddball box about equivalent to a 6-frame nuc. I keep hoping they will move brooding down into the deep I put under them, but so far they are filling it with nectar. I put a lawnchair next to the exit, and just about every day relax for a while watching their behavior. Very tame, they don't even notice my face 6 inches from the exit. The queen must have mated with a variety of drones; they vary a lot in color and size. Short, fat goldens, long, slim blacks, and recently some bigger, fat goldens. The drones all seem to be enormous, and very light brown colored.

Checked second swarm hive today. It looks great. Pulled a few frames from the upper deep and they are full of brood and covered with bees. SO I put a medium on top. It looks so strong I am considering either stealing a few frames of brood to bulk up my weak hive, or even doing a split. The location is the edge of an 8-acre field planted specifically for pollinators, surrounded by woods and fields, so plenty of food.

Ckeparek, mind reporting in your scales again? They really provide valuable insight and data...

I noticed myself that my hives seem lighter than they did a few weeks ago, and there is drastically less nectar around the brood nest. I'm wondering if it's just me, because it's quite a change. Weather has been dry, but still.

broodminder 8 13.jpg
    This screenshot is from my 2nd year hive. The weight has fluctuated throughout the past month and has lost about 9 lbs in the last 7 days. The hive is still quite active.
    Golden Rod is just about ready to bloom and may provide some additional nectar. I was in Highland Park this past Friday and the Golden Rod was blooming like crazy which surprised me since they are north of my location.

I'm probably going to start treating for mites with OA Vapor in 2 weeks. I'm also going to make quilting boxes to keep my hives drier this winter.

9 lbs! Wow. Assuming there aren't great losses of population, that means they are eating through over a pound of honey a day!

I'm concerned my bees don't have much honey left in their hive right now, so I hope the fall flow is a great one. I'm new to this though, so it's possible I am concerned about things I shouldn't be.

I just applied MAQS today. Wish my ladies luck.

Seems to have been having sporadic mini-flows since mid-July. Keep expecting there to be robbing and just am not seeing it.
    Am not seeing any goldenrod down here yet but I haven't been looking that hard. When I start smelling it I'll look.
    Usually there are goldenrod plants in the bee yard so I'll know when it's on. Not yet.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Went ahead and did a split of my strong hive, about two weeks ago now. Checked on one half today. It seems to be doing fine, very active and starting to work the lower deep. I plan to leave it alone for now and let it just work at making stores for next winter. Will probably look in on the other half tomorrow. I am trying to figure out which half got the queen.
    Got stung today too, a big surprise as this hive has been so tame. I had just opened the top and several came out and buzzed me hard. One shot straight to the only exposed skin, my wrist, and nailed me. No swelling, so that's good.

An update on the weight of one of my 2nd year hives. The hive weighed around 180 to 190 lbs in mid-July. The weight dropped to the 170 to 180 lb range from the end of July through the first 3 weeks of August. The weight has gone up 10 lbs in the past 3 days. Goldenrod is in bloom. There is still a lot of activity on clover in areas that are irrigated.hive weight aug 24.jpg

10 lbs in 3 days is huge. Gives me hope that my girls will collect enough for their first winter.

How late into the year do they keep foraging in or area? Early October?

Things will start to really slow down in 2 to 3 weeks. Our first frost is around October 10th. Once the fall nectar flow stops, it's time to check hive weight and begin feeding if necessary to have enough stores to overwinter. Feeding should be done before temps drop too much.

Went ahead and took off two frames of honey yesterday. Probably shouldn't, as none of the hives are building up as much as I would like. But, mother-in-law is staying with us for a few days, and my wife wanted to give her some fresh honey to take home for the relatives...

One hive is cleaning out lots of weak drones and wingless young bees. Every day I look I see a half-dozen or so. I opened up the hive and it is bustling with healthy activity, and look as I could, I didn't see any mites.

I had a poor honey crop this year. My second year hive produced one honey super, but my two new package hives did not touch the honey supers. Im feeding all three now and they are taking 2:1 syrup very fast. Treated for mites with OAV.

Quote Originally Posted by cyber View Post
    I had a poor honey crop this year. My second year hive produced one honey super, but my two new package hives did not touch the honey supers. Im feeding all three now and they are taking 2:1 syrup very fast. Treated for mites with OAV.
    Not much honey for mine either. A lot less than last year.

How many supers?
    Quote Originally Posted by cpekarek View Post
    An update on the weight of one of my 2nd year hives. The hive weighed around 180 to 190 lbs in mid-July. The weight dropped to the 170 to 180 lb range from the end of July through the first 3 weeks of August. The weight has gone up 10 lbs in the past 3 days. Goldenrod is in bloom. There is still a lot of activity on clover in areas that are irrigated.hive weight aug 24.jpg

Hey N Illinois beekeepers, is it too late to remove a queen and hope they replace her? I have a queen who lays great, but there is a lot of mites and wrinkled wined larvae. I expect the hive to die this winter, but would like to give them a fighting chance, so I thought maybe stick her in a nuc with some bees and let the main hive requeen.
    Pointless? Too late? Some other strategy better?
    Yes, I will treat as soon as Amazon delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post
    Hey N Illinois beekeepers, is it too late to remove a queen and hope they replace her? I have a queen who lays great, but there is a lot of mites and wrinkled wined larvae. I expect the hive to die this winter, but would like to give them a fighting chance, so I thought maybe stick her in a nuc with some bees and let the main hive requeen.
    Before you make that decision it would be wise to check hives for drones. I suspect it's too late for queen rearing and getting one going before it frosts. It's possible but I would not bet on it.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

I'm 99% sure it's too late to start a new queen in our area. I did see a drone being dragged out of one of my hives yesterday but that must have been one of the last ones. Another week will pass before you develop a new queen. By then there won't be any drones in our area. Are the bees in that hive still bringing in pollen and nectar or are they too weak? I would treat for mites and feed syrup and pollen paddie which might help the queen lay some eggs for winter bees. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by AR1 View Post

I did that to ~10 hives in late July. I think it is too late to do it now
    The parent hives were in outyards. We brought the nucs we made to a home yard where we keep our nucs.
    We found the queens in double deeps and caged them,
    took a 5 frame nuc with drawn comb and stores and shook in LOTS of nurse bees
    Treated the bees in the nuc with oxalic
    Put the caged queen in the nuc and let them quick release her with a marshmello (mostly because we were transporting the nucs)
    Put a ripe queen cell in the parent hive.
    Came back when all the brood had hatched out and treated the parent hive with Oxalic.
    We got good results from this. We fed the nucs to help them get going and they had drawn comb and stores to start with.
    If a queen fails to mate or one of the original queens is damaged, you can always recombine.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast