Oxalic Acid Vaporization – Great for Spring!

Default Oxalic Acid Vaporization – Great for Spring!

OAV is not just a late summer or fall/winter treatment. It is also an outstanding spring treatment. Getting a package or catching a swarm? OAV them!
    For a package, I like to vaporize the package by placing it under a cardboard box, vaporizing with a ˝ gram of OA and hiving the next day. You can also hive them then vaporize when you see eggs/larvae.
    As for swarms (which is really nothing more than a package that’s been hived), I vaporize them once I see eggs/larvae.
    OAV’ing packages and swarms assures that you have almost a mite free hive when starting!! Vaporizing at this time should carry you over till your late summer treatment.
    If you don’t have a vaporizer, check out all the great vaporizers and OxaVap.com!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Oxalic Acid Vaporization – Great for Spring!

I am believer, Low annual losses made me one!

I am also a big believer. Hit my hives last fall several times and they are doing great

Could you not hive the same day as you OAV a package using the cardboard box method? I'm picking up some packages this weekend. Pick up day is suppose to be sunny with high in low 70's. The following day, actually most of week is forecast cloudy / rain - hence the question.

OAV is not just a late summer or fall/winter treatment. It is also an outstanding spring treatment. Getting a package or catching a swarm? OAV them!
    For a package, I like to vaporize the package by placing it under a cardboard box, vaporizing with a ˝ gram of OA and hiving the next day. You can also hive them then vaporize when you see eggs/larvae.
    As for swarms (which is really nothing more than a package that’s been hived), I vaporize them once I see eggs/larvae.
    OAV’ing packages and swarms assures that you have almost a mite free hive when starting!! Vaporizing at this time should carry you over till your late summer treatment.
    If you don’t have a vaporizer, check out all the great vaporizers and OxaVap.com!

I love the one I bought from snl, it works great!

We oav the packages, we also oav'd all of our hives early February, low brood amounts, starting spring cleaner. So far no mites seen, via drops. The drone brood, so far, mite free.
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    For a package, I like to vaporize the package by placing it under a cardboard box, vaporizing with a ˝ gram of OA and hiving the next day.
    Do you have to wait till the next day to hive? What would be the advantage to waiting verses treating and releasing?

Quote Originally Posted by iabeesteve View Post
    Do you have to wait till the next day to hive? What would be the advantage to waiting verses treating and releasing?
    I like to wait to the next day because the package that you received is just a "foreign" queen and a bunch of bees. Vaping them one day and hiving the next gives them a chance to settle down and it's less stress on them "all at once." Not to say that you can't vap and release the same day, this has just worked well for me.

Ok I just pulled the trigger. Can't wait to get it and put it to work.
    John

What about a new nuc? Planning on picking mine up in the next month or so. They are currently treatment free but I don't feel confident in continuing that since these are my first. Should I go ahead and treat them with a vaporizer or wait until the fall?

On a nuc, I'd vap with 1/2 gram and see what falls. Then decide on future treatments.

snl..for a week old package in two mediums, still ˝ gram?
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Quote Originally Posted by R_V View Post
    snl..for a week old package in two mediums, still ˝ gram?
    Wondering why you'd have a package in 2 mediums when I'm guessing one at this time would suffice............at any rate, yes just 1/2 gram.