Michael Bush Video - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Michael Bush Video

i respect Michael bush not because of his beekeeping or treatment , non treatment but putting up with all the targeting and slander he gets on this form, and will still answer people's questions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ethanhogan View Post
    i respect Michael bush not because of his beekeeping or treatment , non treatment but putting up with all the targeting and slander he gets on this form, and will still answer people's questions.
    Yes, he is a very dignified person.
    I hope he will still answer my mails even if I have to use IPM for a while on my path.

Quote Originally Posted by SiWolKe View Post
    I hope he will still answer my mails even if I have to use IPM for a while on my path.
    I have read a lot of his writings, watched many of his videos, and think i understand his philosophy, yet have seen him answer questions that are contrary to how he does things because he has the knowledge and he is generally very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Beekeeping takes a lot of time and energy. I have had very little time in recent years.
    This is why I have not been able to do a lot of the things in beekeeping that I want to do, too. For example, I had plans for things to do in my apiary last weekend, but instead spent the time fixing two vehicles! Best laid plans, and all that....
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Some of u r a pain in the ass and that is why I went to about two bee meetings....the same knuckle heads.

Bush, in my view, has only attempted to help others beeks as he sees it through his views and experiences.

He forces nothing on noone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rww930 View Post
    Some of u r a pain in the ass and that is why I went to about two bee meetings....the same knuckle heads.

Bush, in my view, has only attempted to help others beeks as he sees it through his views and experiences.

He forces nothing on noone.

Bee camp 2017 was awesome even with the rain, storms, and fluctuating temperatures. Work week was the best part.

I honestly don't understand why treatment-free beekeepers are so vilified. But we are. And it's why i limit my contributions on all forums, including my local state forum. Unlike Michael Bush, i just can't take the abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by estreya View Post
    I honestly don't understand why treatment-free beekeepers are so vilified. But we are. And it's why i limit my contributions on all forums, including my local state forum. Unlike Michael Bush, i just can't take the abuse.
    Itīs because we know that to be an elite builds walls. Take the abuse and enjoy some people changing their attitudes.

MB is an example to us. He shows us how to be dignified. It not only improves the beekeeping, it improves character. I try to improve mine but itīs a long way still to go.

What I take from "listen to the bees," and similar phrases is more like, "Figure out what drives the bees to do things, the things to which they respond. Then when you want them to do that thing, give them the appropriate stimulus. If you need help from climate/weather and it isn't The Right Time, then wait until it is. Or find a way to fake it that's good enough to fool the bees."
    Last edited by DerTiefster; 06-03-2017 at 04:28 PM.
    "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong." (heard often from the late David Sebree) Still making them, myself

Quote Originally Posted by DerTiefster View Post
    What I take from "listen to the bees," and similar phrases is more like, "Figure out what drives the bees to do things, the things to which they respond. Then when you want them to do that thing, give them the appropriate stimulus. If you need help from climate/weather and it isn't The Right Time, then wait until it is. Or find a way to fake it that's good enough to fool the bees."
    It's also, if in doubt (and if there is not an obvious reason to deviate), do what the bees do. What size entrance? Look at the average size of entrance of feral hives in your area. What size cavity? What do bees use? When to requeen? What do bees do? What kind of buildup is good? What do the bees do? When to move to almonds? Wait, that doesn't work.

Some exceptions are caused by novel pests. Bees like shade, but so do hive beetles. You can listen to the bees, but you shouldn't always do what they say.
    David Matlock

I honestly don't understand why treatment-free beekeepers are so vilified.
    There is goodwill among most folks I know who treat and most folks I know who don't treat.
    Last edited by Riverderwent; 06-04-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    David Matlock

I honestly don't understand why treatment-free beekeepers are so vilified.
    For the same reason that tf folks vilify commercial/treating beekeepers. For the same reason that Republicans vilify Democrats and vice versa.
    There is a undue belief in many people that they are on the right track and anyone differing is purely wrong. It is an arrogance driven by an overblown ego.
    If you take a contentious, opposing view as a personal affront….you are smart to post little and read even less.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

The general tone of this thread with words like vilify and slander being thrown around. Wow. Just wow.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Really? I'm getting flack now? On this thread? Yea, my skin is clearly too thin. My use of the word "vilify" was because i've seen quite a lot of verbal attacks on treatment-free beekeeping practices and practitioners over the years. Is it ALL i've seen? No. Of course not. And it was never intended to be a blanket statement. But by all means - latch on to one word in one post and make me feel like $#)~! for posting it. Congrats.

Flack? I thought "wow" was because the increase in vocabulary made this a "classier" post.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

from where i sit there doesn't appear to be as much negative criticism being levied from either side these days as compared to when i first joined beesource.

i'd like to think that is partly because there are those of us reporting our experiences here showing that keeping bees off treatments is not only possible but can result in survival and production that is competitive with conventional methods...

as well as the recognition that beekeeping is not a one size fits all endeavor and that there are different modes of operation and certain parts of the country that just don't lend themselves very easily to treatment free.

moderating has actually become fairly easy these days. many thanks to all for observing etiquette and exercising civility.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Really? I'm getting flack now? On this thread? Yea, my skin is clearly too thin. My use of the word "vilify" was because i've seen quite a lot of verbal attacks on treatment-free beekeeping practices and practitioners over the years. Is it ALL i've seen? No. Of course not. And it was never intended to be a blanket statement. But by all means - latch on to one word in one post and make me feel like $#)~! for posting it. Congrats.
    Wow
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Seems like the reason non-treatment practitioners are scrutinized is because they are seen as the weak link in a wide spread "protection web" type ideal. One beekeeper decides to go natural, gets a bad pest that goes rampant and it spreads over an entire region.

The same argument could be made for those that use dangerous pesticides though.

Personally I try to not use anything but I do what I need to when it's necessary.

My personal outlook is do what you're comfortable with and don't worry about peer pressure...you're the one that has to live with the consequences.

As far as MB, I totally support the listen to what the bees are telling you philosophy. If you aren't smart enough to understand it then work harder until you do because there's definitely some wisdom to it. The only way you'll understand it (or what the bees are telling you) is to learn how to read them, what they are doing and why and to do that takes experience, research, close observation and a mindset to never quit and self improve. Beekeeping isn't for everyone, some folks just don't have all they need to be successful at it...time, patience, attention span, fortitude, etc...
    Everyone loses bees from time to time, anyone that says they don't are either very remarkable or very remarkable liars.

But by all means - latch on to one word in one post
    Even when I reread your post, it comes across to me as a blanket statement. I would say that when you are posting for all the world to see......choose your words with care. People might just read them and respond. Just a little constructive criticism but if you decide to take it as abuse and believe it makes you feel like $#)~!...it is your problem...not my fault.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Rww930 View Post
    Thing to realise about "knuckle head" beekeepers is that they too are in it because they love bees. And likely have something to share. If you are open minded enough to hear it.

Refering to people as "knuckle heads" indicates you have closed your mind to them completely. That is your loss, not theirs.

On Beesource I have learned stuff from people who don't even have bees yet. Mostly everyone has something worth learning from.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast