Is it true
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it true

Default Is it true

A fellow beekeeper told me unless you have acres and acres,buckwheat and purple tansy would make no difference in the amount of honey I get. I'm planting 1 acre of this seperate,into 2 seperate plots.Will it make honey ,I have 5 hives.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Is it true

Sure it will help make honey. Two or three hives per acre or so will get a good flow off it while it's in bloom. Of course they fly for a mile or two around in the area, but a solid planted acre of forage can never be a bad thing.

But, whether or not you get enough honey off of it to pay for purchasing the seed is another matter entirely, I am not able to comment on that aspect of it.

Buckwheat is also said to be a good cover crop/soil conditioner/green manure. You can grind the seeds and make nice pancakes or feed the seeds to your critters. You can even make hay out of it, hard to get it dry though. And if you can get the bees to pay attention it's great honey.
    Bill

Second that but it never gets to really mature as I till it in for the green manure. my garden is only about 60 by 40. However, my bees don't touch it anyway. Seems it's always greener on the other side of the fence but my taste buds are not complaining.
    I don't suspect you will cover your cost with direct honey revenue if my bees are any indication.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

A one or two acre plot is minuscule compared to the total range of the hive. It is nice to have something out there blooming in the dearth, tho. Be sure to plant the correct variety ... "mancan" works, but I don't think it is the only one. Good luck! CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

1 acre won't really affect 5 hives. They will put up some stores but I wouldn't expect a honey crop off of it.

any good nectar producing planting you can provide ( purple tansy and buckwheat are good ones) will add to the nectar your bees collect if they are strong enough to take advantage of it.
    more forage is good, plant away.

Anything you plant that makes nectar and pollen will help the bees. But they will forage the 8,000 acres around them, so it's doubtful you can plant enough to make a crop on 1 acre.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

What did that arborist say, 1 acre of clover can produce 200lbs of honey and 1 acre of trees can produce 1200lbs of honey. Food for thought.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    What did that arborist say, 1 acre of clover can produce 200lbs of honey and 1 acre of trees can produce 1200lbs of honey. Food for thought.
    Johno
    Just be sure to plant those nectar producing trees about 10 years before you get the bees.

OK,what are the very best trees to plant for honey production ?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Hunter View Post
    Linden/bass trees and, here, tallow trees are productive.
    David Matlock

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Hunter View Post
    have a look around your area at the flowering trees this year. Red maple is about done I think. if you have tulip poplar, its supposed to be a fast grower and really good nectar source. It is in my area. I see you are in Tennesee if near mountains I hear sourwood is a good source if you can get it. Sadly, I am too far south for sourwood.

Quote Originally Posted by BradC View Post
    have a look around your area at the flowering trees this year. Red maple is about done I think. if you have tulip poplar, its supposed to be a fast grower and really good nectar source. It is in my area. I see you are in Tennesee if near mountains I hear sourwood is a good source if you can get it. Sadly, I am too far south for sourwood.
    My farm and area is loaded with tulip poplar.And I mean big ones.Would it also be helpful to move several hives closer to the larger collection of poplars?Does anyne know how long a newly planted poplar takes to produce blooms?

It could take the poplars a few years to bloom. How far away are these stands of trees? If they are within 2-3 miles, do not worry. The bees will find them.

Quote Originally Posted by BradC View Post
    have a look around your area at the flowering trees this year. Red maple is about done I think.
    I'm so envious of all you southerners right now. We still have snow on the ground and 50 degree days are really warm and nice. Not a thing even has buds...

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMcBean View Post
    I'm so envious of all you southerners right now. We still have snow on the ground and 50 degree days are really warm and nice. Not a thing even has buds...
    I know what you feeling we still have a month to go but I don't have hive beetles.

The only thing I see right now as an issue is that EVERYTHING is a month early. I even saw a few poplar buds beginning to open today in my area...This could mean a longer summer dearth...And if we had very little rain like last year not much fall flow.

I sure wish we had a large goldenrod flow. Would love to taste it.

>It could take the poplars a few years to bloom.

I planted some 15 years ago and they are not blooming yet...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

We plant about 40-50 acres of buckwheat each year specifically for bee forage. While the bees forage in it heavily as we time the bloom to hit in our dearth period (end of July, beginning of August typically) we don't harvest surplus buckwheat honey from hives. The buckwheat seed we typically plant typically runs about $45 for 50lbs and as I recall offhand we seed at 50-55 lbs per acre.

Rich
    Capital Bee Supply
    Columbus, WI
    www.capitalbeesupply.com
    Manufacturers and Purveyors of Fine Beekeeping Equipment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast