Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Two hives blown over from the wind!

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Hogback Honey 
#1 ·
Today I discovered that a hive-stand and two hives did a face plant in the severe windstorm that Michigan suffered last week.
One hive was separated in four sections on the ground (two 10 frame deeps, a bottom board, and the telescoping lid with inner cover.)
The other hive was mostly intact, it was on its side, but the inner cover and cover were off.

I was sick about this and I had no hopes that the bees were still alive. It's been bitter cold at night since that storm, warming into the 30s and 40s during most of the days. I picked up some of the scattered pieces of hive one and found a few bees eating on the honey stores. When I tried righting hive number two though, the bottom board shifted and all hell broke loose! That colony was alive and well! They streamed out of there enmasse and decided to take their aggression out on the guy that was trying to save them!
My mood had changed dramatically, even though I was getting nailed left and right.

I left quickly, but came back about 1/2 hour later with a suit and righted them.
Hive number one MIGHT have a cluster in there - I didn't look. They're probably goners but I can hope!
I'm very happy that the other hive was strong.

With as heavy as these hives were, I never dreamt that the wind would take them down.
I need to make sure that this never happens again!

See less See more
#3 ·
Had that happen this past winter to two hives that were nucs - three boxes tall of 5X5's -- but, because I strap them together with the ratchet type straps, the boxes were basically together but all askew and rain was getting inside. All I could do was pick them back up, loosen the straps and re-align everything. Now, they are booming. Just lucky I guess. Now, I also strap them to a steel T-post during the heavy wind periods.

#6 ·
The same thing happened to my best hive. They also took their aggression out on me. I have since srarted strapping them to the ground. I only need one strap per hive as we don't get Wyoming strength winds here. I do know what Mr. Biggs is talking about, I still remember the winds in Rapid City, South Dakota. They never stopped.

#8 ·
I was installing ant proof stands under my palletised nucs.

They were on a slope, so I installed the down hill side first, then installed the uphill set.

I was on the last pallet and installed the down hill side, and was in the process of installing the uphill side. I was just starting blocking them up with a crowbar and 2 by 8's. They were quite an angle when I started and the crow bar slipped, dumping a triple stacked nuc set up over. I quickly stacked them back up, but received quite a few stings in the process. Was almost delirious and had to sit down for a bit, before I could finish the job. Hope that nuc is ok.

#10 ·
Jackam, how did things turn out with #1?
I moved that hive next to my house and they are doing GREAT!

I spent some time today just watching them work. They were happy enough that me and my big black sweatshirt did not seem to be a threat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.