clump of bees on the right wall, three days out from intall

Question clump of bees on the right wall, three days out from intall

Hey,

I am a complete newbie. I built a top bar hive from the plans posted by Michael Bush. I installed a package of bees on Saturday, three days ago. That went mostly okay. The bees seem to like the hive.

However, there is a huge clump of them on the right wall, I assume around the queen bee, which I released via pushing the cork in and then smearing the open end with crystalized honey . There does not seem to be attached comb because the bars in the area of the clump are freely moveable back and forth and from side to side. Should I bee concerned about this bee mass, or it part of their usual new hive behavior? FYI it is still getting down into the low 40s and high 30s at night where I live.

Also, when should I expect them to start drawing comb? I did observe them working on the first two bars, I saw yellow strands of crystalline substance along the top bar wedges, but no actual comb yet. That was two days out.

Any advice would be appreciated thanks! Including what would you do in this situation....

Thomas
    Last edited by Yunzow; 03-21-2017 at 10:54 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: clump of bees on the right wall, three days out from intall

It is normal for the bees to be around the queen, but typically they are hanging from the top of the hive. Where did you put the queen cage after you smeared honey on the open end? I would have hung it from one of the top bars. Since you installed the package on Saturday, I would make sure that the queen has been released from the queen cage today. Also make sure that you are feeding them sugar water so they have resources to build comb.

Default Re: clump of bees on the right wall, three days out from intall

Yes I removed the empty queen cage yesterday. It was on the bottom board where I placed it.