1/5 made it through winter

Default 1/5 made it through winter

I stink as a beekeeper. When I cleaned them out, there was a lot of moisture in the hives. i don't think I gave them proper ventilation. The only hive that survived was one that I left a 4'in spacer box on top with a couple of 1-inch holes in it wide open. They also had the lightest stores and fewest bees of all the 5-hives. I did not think they would make it and they are the only ones that did make it. I also put a piece of cardboard on the top of the frames of the top box and piled a bunch or sugar on it (hence the need for the spacer).

The plan now is to get 4 starts from that hive to re-populate. I put two more deeps on the hive and am feeding them. They sucked down 1.5 gallons this last week of a 2:1 sugar mixture. They are bringing in pollen from observation (live in northern Utah but it has been warm lately). I hope they will lay in the two deeps I gave them and then I will use those as starters and add some queens to them that I've ordered.

The one that survived was my only hive that was foundationless so probably has smaller cells and that might have helped with the mites also. I did treat all of them with oxylic acid once in December.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 1/5 made it through winter

Once in December is too late. Sorry.

I know it was late!

The two boxes you put on is too much. The queen can only lay what the bees can cover and keep warm. Putting 2 xtra boxes on is just giving them more room to heat. I dont know how many bees are in there but i can guess theres not enought to cover 20 xtra frames of brood. Wait till the bottom box is filled with bees then add 1 box at a time. It still gets cold at night.

Keep a close watch on the feed so that the bees are not flooding all the available drawn comb leaving the queen short of space to lay. If that does not make them swarm, it may actually slow down expansion. A little is good; a whole lot is not necessarily better! Same goes for adding additional hive space.
    Frank