Beltsville Lab confirmed Nosema

Default Beltsville Lab confirmed Nosema

Lost 4 of my 5 hives this winter, and diagnosis is nosema. My questions are, 1. is it necessary to try to clean up/disinfect the frames and boxes from the affected hives? I live in Ohio, and supposedly cold kills off nosema spores? 2. should I treat the survivor and new packages with Fumigilin? 3. which of the 'snake oils', feeding supplements, etc. etc. out on the market might be effective at keeping my bees healthy when I replace them? Thanks, everybody.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beltsville Lab confirmed Nosema

spray the combs with diluted bleach

Also search "acetic acid fumigation nosema" both beesource and online.

Which Varity? Cold Does not kill Nosema spores! They can survive a nuclear blast. Nosems is pretty much present in all hives. However healthy bees are capable of dealing with it. It becomes a problem with bees who's overall health has been compromised by other factors. Although Nosema may have been the official COD. there were underlying problems which facilitated the infestation. A dose of Fumigillin will help with Nosema Apis,and Nosems Ceranae in a light syrup.
    Keeping the bees strong, mite free and healthy are the best prevention for Nosema. Although I am generally not a fan of arbitrarily treating with antibiotic, In the case of a pre existing condition I would opt for a round in a new installation. Be sure to do the treatment at a time when there is no flow so as to ensure adequate dosage and limit resistance possibilities. .

There is some evidence that probiotics help strengthen the bees gut where nosema atracks. It's. It not a cure but allows them to fend off the microsporidian. You can try SuperDFM from Strong Microbials company. https://strongmicrobials.com/#/products/honeybee Not cheap, but then Fumigillin isn't either. Better to prevent than deal with the alternative.
    Local Carniolan Bees. All medium configuration.

There is zero evidence that probiotics do anything to combat nosema

What Tenbears and Ian said.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

>Which Varity?

Did you see any symptoms? Any bee poop?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Not combat nosema directly, but strengthen the gut where it attacks. If bees have a balanced microorganism mix, overall they are healthier.
    Local Carniolan Bees. All medium configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by costigaj View Post
    Not combat nosema directly, but strengthen the gut where it attacks. If bees have a balanced microorganism mix, overall they are healthier.
    Zero evidence of probiotics doing that too
    A healthy diet on the other hand ...

You can dunk your frames in a solution of water with bleach 7:1 if it makes you feel better.
    Let them dry and then re-use. Inherited a couple dead-out hives that were obvious cases of nosema.
    It's not AFB and you simply move on.
    If you want you can feed some Fumagilin-B to your entire apiary as a precaution. I did that my first season back into bees and have seen no Nosema in three years so far.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    Also search "acetic acid fumigation nosema" both beesource and online.
    There was a great peer reviewed publication that this is also an effective way to clean EFB infected equipment, fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    But what about a lack of probiotics? Damaged by OTC, Fumagilin or mite treatments? How long after these treatments does it take the bee's flora return to normal? Displacement of one microorganism making room for another?

Wonder if there is any association with particular treatments and nosema? A very good antimicrobial comes to mind Thymol?

It's been proven with AFB and EFB, bee flora damaged by EO's made the disease worse. And the funny thing about that is in vitro those same EOs inhibited the disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunday Farmer View Post
    There was a great peer reviewed publication that this is also an effective way to clean EFB infected equipment, fyi.
    Yes, it will also kill beetles, moths and their eggs (a good way to store supers). It may have limitations with EFB in capped cells or in pollen frames.

First the culture fed should be that wanted in the guts, one would think.

The best approach is to ingest food which promotes a micro flora environment, which then encourages a microbe growth

Hives weren't especially poopy inside or out- makes me guess it was N. ceranae? Mite load tested higher than I would have liked before I was able to get in to treat in early October. More small hive beetles than I would have liked to see, too. Sadly, bees were kind of the last thing on my mind mid summer into fall, my dad passed away in September, and I am sure to a great degree these hives were lost due to neglect.
    Just trying to regroup, repair the damage and make this next season successful. My psyche needs to experience bee therapy!

Quote Originally Posted by QNBKPR View Post
    Hives weren't especially poopy inside or out- makes me guess it was N. ceranae? Mite load tested higher than I would have liked before I was able to get in to treat in early October. More small hive beetles than I would have liked to see, too. Sadly, bees were kind of the last thing on my mind mid summer into fall, my dad passed away in September, and I am sure to a great degree these hives were lost due to neglect.
    Just trying to regroup, repair the damage and make this next season successful. My psyche needs to experience bee therapy!
    Sorry to hear that. Many here have done the exact same under similiar circumstances. I lost 7 hives one year due to the exact same issue, a move, and new job in a year.

This year I'm committed to keeping a schedule. Too much reactive management in my past.

So you have no testing proof? It is just your best surmise? What are we talking about then? I have kept bees a long time and have had hives die of dysentary because they didn't get a cleab
    Cleansing flight in time or that was my best guess. I scraped off what I could from the wood and let the bees clean up the rest, a strong established hive not a package or split. I have never fed fumidil once and my spore counts are not high enough to be a concern. Nosema is a symptom of poor health more than a cause of death.

Vance. Look at the thread title!! I believe he had them tested. But even that does not change the fact, "I scraped off what I could from the wood and let the bees clean up the rest, a strong established hive not a package or split. I have never fed fumidil once and my spore counts are not high enough to be a concern. Nosema is a symptom of poor health more than a cause of death."