Sensationalizing the Breed - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Sensationalizing the Breed

Quote Originally Posted by Green Tractor View Post
    I'd love to see your first-hand experience handing AFB colonies and getting them to act gentle and produce like commercially significant races of bees. Drop some YouTube videos of you handling known AFB sites and show us the way.

I tend my hives with shorts, t-shirts and sometimes without a hood. You say you can demonstrate the same with AFB. Please...demonstrate. Until then few here are going to do much more than wonder if your true hobby is distilling and consuming fuel-grade 'shine out back.
    This looks like a pretty productive hive to me!
    Abelhas Africanizadas, mel, honey bee, African bees
    https://youtu.be/VaLcq-KCoSQ

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

NaturesResonance.

I keep trying to remind myself you can't possibly be serious. However, now I'm curious. What is your experience with bees? How many hives and how many years? Troy from Arkansas keeps giving you what appears to be both credible and good information. Are you going to take him up in his offer to get some hands on experience with "Africanized bees"? I can't imagine your the least bit serious. Any chance you will video yourself doing a large cutout of those bees for us?

We do 48 colonies to a yard. Yard after yard. Can you imagine all AFB. Talk about dreading your job. I wonder what the Workmens Comp rate would be on my employees? Turnover in help would be unbelievable. Its just not viable. I love the production of the AFB as well as the varroa resistance but its just not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillybees View Post
    You flying up to them and hovering? Using your cloaking device suit from MannLake? Popping up out of the ground? Tip Toeing? Low Crawl? Camouflage? Dressing in your new "don't sting me I'm a queen bee" suit? Wearing "I Love Bees" pin after you teach them to read? It all sounds ridiculously easy to me.
    Daniel Beebe, Beebe's Pest Control in the valley. He will let you come and get bees for free. He has at least 20 trucks and says he averages 2 to 5 bee calls per truck a week. None of the other beekeepers want them. He has tried that. Call him and tell him Troy from Arkansas told you about him. All the AFB you want for free. 28 foot ladder plus 25000 bees and your training will have started. Let us know how it turns out.
    Don't bee a goof. I have a bee suit.

AFB is "American Foul Brood" AHB is "Africanized Honey Bees". I had an uncle that quit smoking and started chewing toothpicks until they finally killed him. The autopsy report said he died from "Dutch Elm Disease".

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillybees View Post
    Natures is a new beekeeper that wants to propagate AFB. He says he can train them to be gentle. He wants to put them on national forest, blm and state land. He does not want to change out queens or any other sort of controls that have proven effective to hot hives. He wants to try to manage hot hives in public places. He expects no liability if they hurt someone. He believes he can handle the swarming issue of the hot hives. He cannot be told anything because he has it all figured out. I raised bees in Buckeye Arizona in the late seventies. AFB was barely getting a foothold. I did it as an FFA project with 12 hives. Six miles away a man on a tractor was almost killed by a hive in an ironwood tree over a hundred yards from where he was driving a tractor. I finished with the bees when I joined the Marine Corp and sold them. I started again in 2011. I enjoy the bees. No one enjoys hot hives. Not even NaturesResonance. Maybe when he has a few hundred on his veil and a dozen or so in his suit the many posts he has had trying to help him will "resonate" with him then. We can hope.
    "AFB" didn't even reach the states until well into the 80's. Your man on a tractor was almost killed by the so-called calm and safe "EHB". You can see the irony in that, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Schultz View Post
    AFB is "American Foul Brood" AHB is "Africanized Honey Bees". I had an uncle that quit smoking and started chewing toothpicks until they finally killed him. The autopsy report said he died from "Dutch Elm Disease".
    LOL

I've never heard of a cop killing a Dachshund because it was being aggressive. I've never heard of people banning them because they're so dangerous. It's just sensationalism. Nothing sensational about a Dachshund attack. They look too cute to be scary. You can't sell that story.[/QUOTE]

Your reply proves my point!!!!!!!! I said nothing about which breed of dog bites more than another. I pointed out that there are differences​.
    Petey on "Our Gang" (Little Rascals) was a pit bull and I've met plenty of them that are great. I've also had to shoot one that attacked a little girl and her dog. I've never had to shoot a daschound. Good thing they aren't as big and powerful as some other breeds.

My premise stands that there are differences​ in aggressive behavior based on genetic disposition/breed.

It's the same in cattle as well.

Ask some of the southern boys how they like working stock with Brahma in them.
    Dirk E. Shearer
    "Cause if you won't put your real name to it you probably shouldn't hit send"

How about it? What is your actual experience with bees, Africanized bees, bulldogs, and toothpicks? Do you even have bees? Other than the internet what experience do you have? I'm not saying you don't. Just wondering what it is.

I had an uncle that quit smoking and started chewing toothpicks until they finally killed him. The autopsy report said he died from "Dutch Elm Disease".
    I knew I couldn't trust them. He stimulated them by bearing his teeth though.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    Pit bulls have earned their name, so have "killer bees".

Do you keep "killer bees" in AZ?

I use to live there when they first came up from Mexico. Ya they're killers!
    The post isn't about me keeping highly defensive bees. The post about dispelling the propaganda that has been a defamation of character. I've heard everything from, "they don't or can't pollinate-to they can't produce as much honey" An "africanized" bee is just another way of saying, mutt. Do people call a pug with a little pitbull in their genetics, "pitbullized"? No! That's just sensationalism at work. It's a bunch of propaganda against a breed. It's prejudice, and ignorance at it's best.

They just used the phonetic three letter acronym: DED

Quote Originally Posted by NaturesResonance View Post
    The post isn't about me keeping highly defensive bees. The post about dispelling the propaganda that has been a defamation of character. I've heard everything from, "they don't or can't pollinate-to they can't produce as much honey" An "africanized" bee is just another way of saying, mutt. Do people call a pug with a little pitbull in their genetics, "pitbullized"? No! That's just sensationalism at work. It's a bunch of propaganda against a breed. It's prejudice, and ignorance at it's best.
    Do you keep any bees? Are you a PR representative for Africanized bees? Are you a bee researcher? Are you an advocate for Africanized bee rights? Have you every seen a bee? Just what is your experience? Do you have any credibility? Are you already registered here under another identity? Are you dodging the questions?

Quote Originally Posted by trapperdirk View Post
    I've never heard of a cop killing a Dachshund because it was being aggressive. I've never heard of people banning them because they're so dangerous. It's just sensationalism. Nothing sensational about a Dachshund attack. They look too cute to be scary. You can't sell that story.
    Your reply proves my point!!!!!!!! I said nothing about which breed of dog bites more than another. I pointed out that there are differences​.
    Petey on "Our Gang" (Little Rascals) was a pit bull and I've met plenty of them that are great. I've also had to shoot one that attacked a little girl and her dog. I've never had to shoot a daschound. Good thing they aren't as big and powerful as some other breeds.

My premise stands that there are differences​ in aggressive behavior based on genetic disposition/breed.

It's the same in cattle as well.

Ask some of the southern boys how they like working stock with Brahma in them.[/QUOTE]

I can agree that a certain genetic predisposition to be more defensive, may exist.

Does it mean we should castrate all those Brahma bull's or Scutellata queen's?

Are you just lonely?

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrightjr View Post
    Do you keep any bees? Are you a PR representative for Africanized bees? Are you a bee researcher? Are you an advocate for Africanized bee rights? Have you every seen a bee? Just what is your experience? Do you have any credibility? Are you already registered here under another identity? Are you dodging the questions?
    Stay on topic dlbrightjr. This topic isn't about me.

Wink Re: Sensationalizing the Breed

Quote Originally Posted by NaturesResonance View Post
    Stay on topic dlbrightjr. This topic isn't about me.
    Cute. The topic does not appear to be about anything you know or have experience with either. Sorry. After asking seriously about your knowledge of the topic I was just having fun. Thanks.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine emailed me some pics of him doing hive inspections. I convinced him to post the pics here on Beesource so Gary did. Use the search engine and type in African hive inspection it will show you what could be in the future for you. Gary lives in South Africa and presently is a commercial beekeeper he said there are some that are docile but they are extremely rare and are not found in any of the areas he works. He has also told me it is next to impossible to work them without getting ate up the protection only reduces the number of times he is stung. If you are concerned about being stung rest assured it's inevitable keep that in mind.

Wow! They must be impossible to work.
    Jim

Call them what you will, but there are bees that have at least in part the genetics of a different sub species.

Varieties within a species can have selected traits that set them apart from other varieties.

This is not imagined,its not a matter of semantics, its a matter of biology, heritance, genetics, gene expression.

Dogs vary from Chihuahuas, to Great Danes within the same species. A daschund can pull a badger from a burrow, but would do poorly in a fighting pit. A pomeranian would never fair well against a pit bull, regardless of how they were trained.

Temperament, and physical traits were both breed into each dog breed. It is not a mystery that pitbulls may be associated with more maulings than many other breeds.

To pretend all dogs are blank slates to be written upon by their owners is foolish and denies the reality of biology, physics and so many other disciines of science.

Bees are no different. Some bees were selected to have inconvenient traits, by nature, man, or some combination.

Comparing bees to inannimate objects, like toothpicks beyond a simple analogy seems silly. But sure ill bite, perhaps bees, dogs and even people can be a dumb as a box or rocks or toothpicks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast