Sensationalizing the Breed
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Sensationalizing the Breed

I've heard of places foolishly banning entire breeds of dogs, like pitbulls. Likely, the same people that don't know much about pitbulls or dogs for that matter.

I see a parallel between pitbulls and scutellata. People (like Reed Booth) even go as far as promoting a sensational name like, "killer bee". Which just adds to the paranoia and results in further misinformation and prejudice. The truth is, scutellata is just one portion of a greater strand of genetics. Apis mellifera "mutt". The "African" bee is a misnomer too. Africa has several subspecies that live across the continent. "Africanized" is another ridiculous term that simply adds to the paranoia. Every time a hive gets "overtly defensive" people cry that they must be "africanized". Call it what it is, a honey bee. Leave the gene splitting to geneticists.

Show me the mortality rate for deaths that were a direct result of toxic envenomation, and I'll show you a greater mortality rate from choking to death on a toothpick. Except, there's nothing sensational about a death by "killer toothpicks". Nobody goes around banning a toothpick for being a toothpick.

Behavior is defined as a particular response to stimuli. If a dog bites, it's genetic sequence is likely to be the least of reasons why it bites. It's probably due to other factors that or most likely involved in it's environment.

The same can be said of bees. Their behavior is a response to an external stimuli. Stimuli can be controlled and changed. So can the behavior of any living creature. Stop focusing on controlling behavior by controlling a genetic sequence. Start focusing on the stimuli that encourages desirable behavior, while mitigating undesirable behavior.

Don't blame the breed!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Sensationalizing the Breed

Yeah, I walk past a box of toothpicks and just don't trust them. Now I find out it's not their fault. I'll try to forgive them.

I once had to ride on the tailgate of a pickup for half a mile with my veil on with my wife driving because I was being chased by a bunch of toothpicks.
    David. The way you want to keep bees is most likely at least as good as any way that I could suggest. Probably better.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverderwent View Post
    I once had to ride on the tailgate of a pickup for half a mile with my veil on with my wife driving because I was being chased by a bunch of toothpicks.
    excellent point

I have so many toothpicks in my yard that the neighbor kids are afraid to play in theirs.

You guys just need to get a different brand of toothpicks. They've been developing a brand of toothpicks here that are perfectly harmless. Unfortunately you can't get them to go near your teeth. They want to go up your nose. They are still working on it though. I'll keep you updated.

Natures is a new beekeeper that wants to propagate AFB. He says he can train them to be gentle. He wants to put them on national forest, blm and state land. He does not want to change out queens or any other sort of controls that have proven effective to hot hives. He wants to try to manage hot hives in public places. He expects no liability if they hurt someone. He believes he can handle the swarming issue of the hot hives. He cannot be told anything because he has it all figured out. I raised bees in Buckeye Arizona in the late seventies. AFB was barely getting a foothold. I did it as an FFA project with 12 hives. Six miles away a man on a tractor was almost killed by a hive in an ironwood tree over a hundred yards from where he was driving a tractor. I finished with the bees when I joined the Marine Corp and sold them. I started again in 2011. I enjoy the bees. No one enjoys hot hives. Not even NaturesResonance. Maybe when he has a few hundred on his veil and a dozen or so in his suit the many posts he has had trying to help him will "resonate" with him then. We can hope.

Sure. When he sobers up he's going to think this is all pretty funny though.

If that were entirely​ true there should be absolutely no statistical difference in the frequency of bites between various dog breeds.
    Dirk E. Shearer
    "Cause if you won't put your real name to it you probably shouldn't hit send"

One more thing and I'm done with this. The stimuli for AFB is just walking up to the hive. I dont know how your going to change that.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/08/12/us...00-yearly.html
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/51642...omething-weird
    http://bottomlineinc.com/death-by-to...t-you-swallow/

All restaurant owners: Consider this your final warning! If you continue to provide and promote the use of toothpicks of any-and-all varieties of wood. You can and will be found guilty of negligent homicide. The DA's office will not tolerate the these invasive species of tooth picking devices. No picking of teeth will be allowed on public land.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillybees View Post
    One more thing and I'm done with this. The stimuli for AFB is just walking up to the hive. I dont know how your going to change that.
    Not that this statement is even remotely true, but it's still ridiculously easy to avoid evoking said stimuli.
    Don't walk up to the hive. You really are a quick one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillybees View Post
    Natures is a new beekeeper that wants to propagate AFB. He says he can train them to be gentle. He wants to put them on national forest, blm and state land. He does not want to change out queens or any other sort of controls that have proven effective to hot hives. He wants to try to manage hot hives in public places. He expects no liability if they hurt someone. He believes he can handle the swarming issue of the hot hives. He cannot be told anything because he has it all figured out. I raised bees in Buckeye Arizona in the late seventies. AFB was barely getting a foothold. I did it as an FFA project with 12 hives. Six miles away a man on a tractor was almost killed by a hive in an ironwood tree over a hundred yards from where he was driving a tractor. I finished with the bees when I joined the Marine Corp and sold them. I started again in 2011. I enjoy the bees. No one enjoys hot hives. Not even NaturesResonance. Maybe when he has a few hundred on his veil and a dozen or so in his suit the many posts he has had trying to help him will "resonate" with him then. We can hope.
    And I thought the OP was writing parody. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by NaturesResonance View Post
    Not that this statement is even remotely true, but it's still ridiculously easy to avoid evoking said stimuli.
    I'd love to see your first-hand experience handing AFB colonies and getting them to act gentle and produce like commercially significant races of bees. Drop some YouTube videos of you handling known AFB sites and show us the way.

I tend my hives with shorts, t-shirts and sometimes without a hood. You say you can demonstrate the same with AFB. Please...demonstrate. Until then few here are going to do much more than wonder if your true hobby is distilling and consuming fuel-grade 'shine out back.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperdirk View Post
    If that were entirely​ true there should be absolutely no statistical difference in the frequency of bites between various dog breeds.
    Statistically, pitbulls bite less frequently than Dachshund's. https://petolog.com/articles/most-aggressive-dogs.html
    I've never heard of a cop killing a Dachshund because it was being aggressive. I've never heard of people banning them because they're so dangerous. It's just sensationalism. Nothing sensational about a Dachshund attack. They look too cute to be scary. You can't sell that story.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Tractor View Post
    I'd love to see your first-hand experience handing AFB colonies and getting them to act gentle and produce like commercially significant races of bees. Drop some YouTube videos of you handling known AFB sites and show us the way.

I tend my hives with shorts, t-shirts and sometimes without a hood. You say you can demonstrate the same with AFB. Please...demonstrate. Until then few here are going to do much more than wonder if your true hobby is distilling fuel-grade 'shine out back.
    I never claimed I could tend to them in shorts and a T-shirt. That's just stupid! Illiterate bushmen have been tending African bees for a very long time. Besides, define "AFB" for us. Define "commercially significant" while you're at it. Did you even read the top post? Try to be a little more objective and less subjective.

managing african bees
    https://youtu.be/dAZ0thZEypw

The issue is motivation and potential for injury: I'd rather be on the receiving end of several ankle biter Wiener Dogs than be the victim of one Pit Bull Attack.
    The Prey Drive is well documented in the Bully Breeds, unfortunately their prey trigger may be a kid on a bike or someone walking their own dog on a leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Tractor View Post

I tend my hives with shorts, t-shirts and sometimes without a hood. You say you can demonstrate the same with AFB. Please...demonstrate. Until then few here are going to do much more than wonder if your true hobby is distilling and consuming fuel-grade 'shine out back.
    African Bees - Handling Apis Mellifera Scutellata without gloves or hand protection
    https://youtu.be/tOraSMtGGI4

Quote Originally Posted by NaturesResonance View Post
    You flying up to them and hovering? Using your cloaking device suit from MannLake? Popping up out of the ground? Tip Toeing? Low Crawl? Camouflage? Dressing in your new "don't sting me I'm a queen bee" suit? Wearing "I Love Bees" pin after you teach them to read? It all sounds ridiculously easy to me.
    Daniel Beebe, Beebe's Pest Control in the valley. He will let you come and get bees for free. He has at least 20 trucks and says he averages 2 to 5 bee calls per truck a week. None of the other beekeepers want them. He has tried that. Call him and tell him Troy from Arkansas told you about him. All the AFB you want for free. 28 foot ladder plus 25000 bees and your training will have started. Let us know how it turns out.

Pit bulls have earned their name, so have "killer bees".

Do you keep "killer bees" in AZ?

I use to live there when they first came up from Mexico. Ya they're killers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast