Re: Long Langstroth hive design questions
All are my opinions and others may think different.
1. screened bottom is no benefit if you are treating anyway.
2. Entrance works best if it is at the bottom of the hive on one end.
3. The minimum number of frames is 24 and the maximum is about 32. This suggests interior length of 33.75 inches up to 44.75 inches. Be sure to leave some room to get frames in and out.
4. Bees need about 5/8 of an inch between the bottom of the frames and the bottom of the box. They use this space as a walkway and ventilation duct.
5. I don't treat so can't comment about treatment options.
NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest