Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hello from Wyoming

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Hemendp 
#1 ·
I have tried raising bees the past 2 years and have not had any luck keeping a colony over winter. The first colony starved, and from the information I was given, the second colony absconded. I have bees for this spring again hoping to use this forum to help me to keep my bees happy and healthy over the winter.

#4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I think the feeding part is what my problem is. Last fall we had a bizarre fall, beautiful warm above freezing weather well into November. We still had plants blooming that late and I assumed the bees were still getting food from the plants, but apparently I was wrong or they weren't getting enough. I gave them sugar syrup, and when I went to remove the feeder is when I discovered the bees had all left. Just a few dead ones left behind.

#5 ·
Welcome to the club , one thing that comes to mind when I think of Cheyenne Wyoming is wind and more wind = a good wind block !!! Was driving west on I-80 one time in a pickup with a slide in camper couldn't figure out why my gas pedal was almost to the floor and we were only going 50 mph pulled off for gas in Sinclair and the wind almost took the door off the hinges !!I will never forget it .

#9 ·
I always lol when I see ppl talking about there high winds they had when they hit 50 mph (80 kph). That's a strong breeze and common. I don't think ppl believe me some times when I tell them we blow trucks off the road. Weather service had recorded 92 mph (148 kph) just south of me a few weeks back.

Are you living in the city of Cheyenne or just outside of the city? The 2 have drastically different floral sources.

What has been your source of bees?

What type of equipment and setup configuration are you using?

Do you currently have bees in a hive or are you getting bees later this year?

Hives in your area at this time should still be well stocked with stores both pollen and honey, as the floral sources should just be starting and will be frozen and killed off again when the freezing weather returns. In my mind spring is hear, but one in the area is still two + months away from successfully overwintering.

#10 ·
I live on 6 acres east of Cheyenne. My son got bees the first time I think from Murdoch's. I bought mine from Prairie Wind last year and again this year. I have the basic Langstroth hive, with 2 deeps and 2 mediums to add for supers. I really wish I could have gotten my bees earlier but I understand I can't, so they could use my flowering fruit trees. Maybe next spring if all goes well this year.

#15 ·
Varroa mites are everywhere in the US. There are clearly some colonies that survive without being treated, but that does not mean that those colonies do not have varroa mites.

If you have not done more extensive evaluation than merely looking at some of the bees, it is very difficult to assess the true mite level in the hive.

If you are looking for a reason why your hive did not survive, a varroa mite problem should be #1 on your list of suspects. One can choose not to treat mites, but underestimating their threat is a mistake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.