Wax dipping questions

Default Wax dipping questions

Just ordered a nice new SS tank from a local fabrication shop for dipping hives. I've got two questions for anyone out there. Do you dip hives that were previously painted and how do they turn out? Second question how much would one pay or change for dipping hives?
    Thanks
    Jeff

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Wax dipping questions

I Amit I have no idea what to charge but I would start by weighing say a box before and after. And see how much wax you used. To get number you may have to do a half doz box to get a reading.

Thought of that, I understand it's a couple of grams. Now let's add the cost of the tank, propane and time. (Ten minutes per box devide by four) I can't get crazy but would like to break even at least. Even a little profit would be nice.

The supplier I buy my dipped hives from charges me $1.50 per box. That's at dealer cost. Retail is about $3-$4.

I wouldn't have a problem paying $3-4 a box. If you think about the time it takes to paint a box and if you need to buy paint; it would be worth it to me. I think you should ask some beekeepers around you who might be interested if they would be willing to pay $X (whatever you planed on). I don't think your market is huge because it will have to be local and if you price it too high then you won't have any customers. The price will also have to depend on the number of boxes dipped or make them wait until you have a minimum number of boxes. I just met with a local beekeeper with a large tank (old 500 gallon propane tank) and he said it took hours to heat the tank. If you just want to break even and offer it to friends or the local club you could tell them to bring their own propane and give you a dollar a box.

Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking $3 a box.

OK, I guess I have gotten one of my questions answered... Anyone dipping used equipment out there???