Where to put Ob hive.

Default Where to put Ob hive.

I have a small swarm I need to put in a nuc or something nuc sized, a big hive I can get a frame of brood from (going to have to feed feed feed, everyone's out of honey and its droughting)
    I bought a used brushy mountain observation hive, 4 frames down, top one for the queen, and with this cup size swarm there was definitely a queen. They got rained on and have been locked up all week.

I want to set the OB hive up with them in it, but it really doesn't look all that weather tight. I have a very large hive that needs split, and soon, who are notorious robbers.

Available setup spots:

My greenhouse.
    a shed on the back lot that opens to the east and has an old really tall hive stand in it I could set them on
    the apiary with 3 hungry hives and a 4th that could get to robbing size fairly quickly.

Suggestions?
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Where to put Ob hive.

Gypsy- I've read a lot of your posts and I think you are a good enough beekeeper that your own inclination leads to the best end.
    Bill

Bill, I am going to take that as a compliment and sleep on it.

to put it where I would like to I will have to build an antproof stand, which I can do, and get a bit of weather protection as well. It's not going to weigh very much and I have plenty of 1 1/2 inch pvc and some cans for liquid for the legs.

I was trying to lazy out of building anything. I got the weeds out of the asparagus today and used boiling water to exterminate raspberry crazy ants and fire ants. I'm beat... still more ants, always more ants.
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

It was meant so.
    Thread on here a couple days ago about "neverwet" coated flanges for resisting small hive beetles. I asked if it would also resist ants if painted on hive stand legs. Apparently so.
    Bill

Now that sounds pretty nifty and probably looks nicer than the tanglefoot I usually use (or a can of water...)

pretty neat!

Feeding honey? Might reconsider that and use syrup instead.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

it was a dab of honey from my hives smeared on the screen top over them. syrup pours and the box I had them in had no room for a feeder. So saturday I get them a frame of brood with nurse bees and a frame of food uncapped, with wax workers and some nice comb frames and capture the queen and put her in a nice nuc (not the observation hive) with a reasonably good front door. the queen had not laid, the swarm was small so likely she was unmated. I had been feeding for a week and I had provided comb. Anyway that effectively quadrupled their numbers.

and on Sunday my big hive robbed them out. All were either killed or scattered to the other hives or left with the queen, I did not find her body. Where do you put a nuc you are starting. I need to split the big one, they killed 4 colonies I was starting last year. I need an outyard without an apiary next door to it, Working on it. In the meantime suggestions on starter nuc placements would probably benefit the new beeks too.