Saskatraz queens

Default Saskatraz queens

Has anyone here had any experience with this line out of Canada. I see olivarez has breeders and sells queens mated with their drones. Always looking to bring new hardy stock into the area and wondered what fellow beeks think

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Saskatraz queens

Here is the link from olivarez. Looks like they have been around for a few years.

https://www.ohbees.com/products/ohb-saskatraz-queens

Might be a good addition to the yard up here. Any Canadians have them?

Yes , they show high hygienic behaviour.
    Typically dark bees, and run characteristics of dark bees, dynamite spring growth.
    As a beekeeper in Cali mentioned, not suited for the package Bee producers
    If you follow some of Alberts work I think you'd be impressed. An evolving project worth supporting

Daughters of Saskatraz queens (the ones mated in California originally) were tested in my yard and had mostly very good hygienic behaviour. I think my local queens with mediocre hygienic behaviour are doing better overall in a TF context. Time will tell if these beneficial traits start appearing in the local stock.

I wanted some of these queens a few years ago and was told I needed to buy at least fifty, preferably 100' I could not gather that many adventuresome souls. Reports I got at that time were that the breeders were selected by commercial cooperators and tended to be fairly hot albeit productive bees. That was several years ago.

As a cold country beekeeper, I admit to holding all things Canadian as the gold standard, but I wonder if shed wintered bees would translate as a value in selection for me. Granted that must matter for fugality and calmness. I look foreward to further conversation on them.

Hey thanks for the information everyone I am thinking I will get some of these to use in production colonies and as drone mothers. Will report back later this year.

One additional question is that i see they "We do not recommend grafting from any of the hybrid queens, no matter how good their performance"
    http://www.saskatraz.com/pages/availability.htm

I am somewhat confused why they would say this. I understand that for breeding purposes these will be out crossed queens with the cali drones but why would one not raise some queens from a successful colony

What about natural superscedure?