Jar feeder and inner cover

Default Jar feeder and inner cover

Hi all, beginning beekeeper here. I am preparing to receive a nuc in April and will be using a mason jar feeder on top of the inner cover. Which way should my inner cover be placed, notch up or down? There seems to be several different schools of thought on this. Secondly, I was considering putting a piece of hardware cloth between the inner cover hole and the mason jar, would this be a good idea? And lastly, what would be an appropriate sugar to water ratio for this nuc starting in April. Just looking for some thought and input from more experienced beeks. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Jar feeder and inner cover

Sugar ratio for spring is 1:1, by weight. Heavy syrup is 2:1 (sugar: water) and is used later in the season (dearth or winter prep).

The notch in the inner cover is the upper entrance for the bees. If you cover the hole with hardware cloth, the bees will not be able to use the entrance (although it will still allow for ventilation.

As to whether the notch is up or down...... I use the inner cover with the notch up in the spring-summer-fall. It cuts down on the space between the upper frames and the inner cover. I turn it over and do a 180 for winter months (notch down and on the backside of the hive).

Be careful putting hardware cloth over the opening where the mason jar sits as it will keep the bees away from the opening in the mason jar so they can't get to the syrup. I believe Lauri posted her solution on another thread to that where she reversed the metal cover so it doesn't indent toward the jar but away from the jar so that the cover sits directly on the hardware cloth. This makes it so that there isn't a gap between the cloth and the lid.

If you put noch down you can put #8 hardware cloth on the hole and put a medium box on top to hide the mason jar. With this you can easily replace the syrup without bees getting into the medium... This way you can also keep the syrup warm in spring. Like someone said mason jar lids tend to be recessed so you can get a one piece lid that is flat on top or you have to push and shape the lid and or the hardware cloth so it sits flat... I have flat lids from hive front feeders that I don't use do to robbing issues... I use those lids.

I make the strongest syrup I can get to dissolve and not crystallize quickly. With my water that's 5:3. It will keep longer, save the bees work, and the bees will utilize it just the same as 1:1 and I don't have to throw out bad syrup all the time.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#ratios
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

It depends on which notched inner cover you are using- If you are using this one:
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ductinfo/W671/
    Then the notch goes down for Summer, and up for Winter.

I mucked this up my first couple of years, even though I know the guy that invented it. If you leave the notch up in the Summer, there is too much space and they will fill it with burr comb.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

I leave my inner covers notch down year round for ventilation.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.