Chalkbrood treating with Banana skin - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Chalkbrood treating with Banana skin

Quote Originally Posted by bonykj View Post
    The "RECESSIVE" hygienic gene of bees becomes "ACTIVE" due to the banana and cleaned up the hive.

Probably hygienic gene activated for a short period of time.
    Do tell, just how, exactly, does a banana 'activate' a gene?

For extra credit, define 'recessive' gene, and explain why it would need to be 'activated'.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Wow, that's new to me. I saw chalkbrood once many years back, but it was quite textbook, i.e., early wet spring resulting in mummies on the landing board and in the frames. Also, the times I've seen EFB it was very textbook as well. Is it the early stages of chalk and EFB that are similar? It certainly seems that the end stages will be very different.
    Dave Cushman;

"The infected larvae are usually seen in the capped stage, but it is common for unsealed larvae to show signs too, where they can lose their segmentation, shape and colour. They can look so much like EFB that on one occasion I was convinced I had EFB, so I called out the Bee Inspector who took one look at it and said "Yes EFB, I'm afraid". To the surprise of both of us the LFD (lateral flow device) test was negative, so we thought the test kit was faulty and used another one, that was also negative. The danger here of course is that someone who is trained to concentrate on nothing but disease and a very experienced beekeeper were both fooled. A less experienced beekeeper may think the next time they see the same symptons it is chalk brood, when it may be EFB."

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/chalkbrood.html

Randy Oliver comparing EFB and AFB;

"Practical application: Some of these symptoms can be confused with those of AFB—I was surprised when I sent a very similar-looking sample to the lab last season and it came back positive for AFB!"

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick...pse-revisited/

Importance of a lab test.

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    Never heard of pickling lime and where do you get it?
    any large chain grocery store or hardware store should have pickling lime in their canning supply section.

CB seems to reduce as spring moves along so maybe adding a banana and seeing an improvement might just be a coincidence. One bad case I had was cured by replacing the queen. However the queen was put in another hive and the CB went with her which would indicate a genetic component or a deficiency in the queen. I beleive that the spores can last for 2 - 3 years though.
    I have one noticeable CB colony now; I will probably leave it for the time-being and see what happens. Maybe I will raid the fruit-bowl!
    May your bees read the same books as you do
    http://www.norfolkbee.co.uk/home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12