Small Hive Beetles from Hell - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Small Hive Beetles from Hell

[QUOTE=aunt betty;1521483]If you've got SHB issues it is partly because you're giving the bees too much space.
    +2. This is the most critical fix to your problem. What size boxes do you run and in those boxes, how many frames are covered front and back with bees? If you have less than 65%-75% of your frames covered front and back with bess, the bees have too much space to protect. Reduce your box size if possible, combine smaller weaker hives, etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have two deeps and don't really know how to reduce the size. I'm hoping that their size will explode with spring...

I can't remember how covered they were, but I do know it wasn't wall to wall bees. I have a few shallow supers--should I take the top deep off and replace it with a shallow? I won't be able to do anything for over a week. Stuck in the city until spring break. That is when I'm planning on moving the nucs to hives--or rather nucs to hive.

I'm also going to put gravel under the hives and I will add some salt to that as well.

Did you start out with Georgia package shb's and bees? Strong hives, Beetle Blaster traps and my hive tool have worked well.

Not sure what you mean by "Georgia Package shb's and bees".

They started out as a package in April and were strong in the summer but somehow went from a ton of stores at the end of summer to little stores at the end of Fall.

I don't have good luck with the Beetle Blaster but really good luck with the Beetle Jail (http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ductinfo/647B/). I try to get them with my hive tool, but then I end up trying to get them in the comb and end up making a mess of it.

Not sure what you mean by "Georgia Package shb's and bees".

They started out as a package in April and were strong in the summer but somehow went from a ton of stores at the end of summer to little stores at the end of Fall.

I don't have good luck with the Beetle Blaster but really good luck with the Beetle Jail (http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ductinfo/647B/). I try to get them with my hive tool, but then I end up trying to get them in the comb and end up making a mess of it.

If you weather is still cold in Missouri, then the only SHB problem that you should have right now would be the ones living in the cluster with your bees. About reducing size, if you look in next week and you've only got 3-4 frames of bees in each deep, just set your top deep to the side. Consolidate two deeps into one deep, being careful to keep brood frames together, a pollen and honey frame on the outsides of the brood frames. Do a manipulation like this towards the afternoon so most of your foraging bees are back home and can better assess how many bees are in the hive. Make sure you or someone else can add that second deep back on your spring starts and the queen start laying heavy and bees are bringing in nectar.

What I meant was that my Georgia packages had tons of shb coming out with the bees and I had no idea what they were at the time. When I ask around, "Oh we don't have those in our hives". Sure they don't.

I threw some pro patties off Thur because the shb larvae were having a feast. With our unusually warm wx, they started reproducing too. I keep hives strong and put traps in hives where I see them. Traps really work well over the winter. Note: SHB will travel with swarms too.

I'm in the screened bottom with oil trap beneath camp. I agree the bees can fend off the beetles if you maintain strong hives and an appropriate amount of space. However, I have found with the traps I have more flexibility with my bee checking schedule. It's one less thing to go wrong if the beetles are continuously kept in check. I generally find less than 5 beetles in any given hive, but there are often too many to count in the traps. I know the traps are working on my hives.

I chuckle when I see people from northern states complain about SHB from Hell. SHB like heat and it gets a tad warm where I keep bees. I do not have any problems with SHB. They are out there but they are under control.

1) The hives get about 2 or 3 hours of afternoon sun a day
    2) They are surrounded by forest litter.
    3) they are TF and natural cell.
    4) no posions used
    5) A beetle blaster is like elephant hunting with a BB gun.
    6) I use solid, screened bottom board with debris trays.
    7) my bees are bred for sustainability not good looks and gentleness. Dont laugh. The main nuc supplier in the county breds for that
    8) artifical pollen patties never used.
    9) make sure the hive is tight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    10) use two square inch main entrances!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1/2 by 4 to 5"
    11) no open SBB.
    12) keep repeating #6, 9 and 10 all day tell you have them memorized.
    13) have i mentioned #10???
    14) you may want to read # 6, 9 and 10.

Toe of Dog: I read 1-5 and I will follow your lead. Especially with # 1. Good tip. I think that was the important part, right I will try reducing the entrances as I have never done that before. I assume that it lets the bees guard it better so that they can stop SHB from getting in the first place.

Not sure what a solid, screened bottom board is with a debris tray. Do you have a

Full sun is supposed to help with beetles? Yet they like heat. I don't understand. I've heard that before but not the reasoning.

I use DE around my hive. It will wash off, and has to be reapplied
    I've had beetle blasters and cloths in the hives, but rarely see a beetle. I also use the Freeman bottom board, filled with soapy water or oil.

I've had good luck,a d see few beetles in my hives.

I did a split a few weeks ago, was too lazy to chase after the one beetle in the nuc, used a solid bottom board, and did not put enough bees in the nuc. I lost a frame of honey, and a frame of brood a week later to SHB larvae and slime.

Keep enough bees in the hive, and they will control the beetles.

I think the DE and sunshine are also factors.

Had a friend comment that having ants nearby also helps.
    Never argue with drunks or crazy people!
    Life Lessons with Dogs, Bees, and Others

They overwinter in and above the cluster to stay warm. SHB's adapt to our local climate just like us. I have sit in front of my hives at dusk and watched SHB land and walk right in to a strong hive. I have seen some bees carry them off of the top bars only to fly right back in the front, but most ignore them. I smash them and install traps if I see more than 2-3.

Quote Originally Posted by niki.nicole View Post
    Toe of Dog: I read 1-5 and I will follow your lead. Especially with # 1. Good tip. I think that was the important part, right I will try reducing the entrances as I have never done that before. I assume that it lets the bees guard it better so that they can stop SHB from getting in the first place.

Not sure what a solid, screened bottom board is with a debris tray. Do you have a
    Study your enemy and note their weakness. I got up 30 minutes before sunrise one day and watch a hive for two hours. Then 5 minutes every hour at the top of the hour was spent. Then an hour before sunset I observed til 30 minutes past sunset. That was an educational day.

Some SHB leave in the morning and come back at night. They fly all around the hive looking for a back door then decide to rush the front door. They can fly thru a 3/4" gap but not a 1/2" gap. Reduce the entrance down to 1/2" and force them to land and try to run past the guards and not fly past them. With a 14.75" wide entrance you have your guard bees spread out. Concentrate the defenses.

My screen Bottom Board has a sliding tray made of wood that tightly fits under the SBB. In essence the tray permits no ventilation and no access to the screen. The screen permits the SHB to escape pursuit to the "basement" thru the screened wire where they starve.

1 thru 4 describe my hives. 6,9 and 10 tell you how to control SHB. # 8 too

Quote Originally Posted by Kenww View Post
    Full sun is supposed to help with beetles? Yet they like heat. I don't understand. I've heard that before but not the reasoning.
    SHB have an incubation temperature a couple degrees lower than large cell bees. Small cell bees have an incubation temperature a degree or two higher than large cell bees. Raise the temperature and make it difficult on the SHB is the theory.

The interior of my closed up, white colored vehicle can get up to 155*F in about 30 to 45 minutes in August. Now put a white colored hive in full sun. The temp goes up. The bees aircondition/cool the hive thru swamp cooling. You just turned your entire work force into water gathers.

Quote Originally Posted by rv10flyer View Post
    They overwinter in and above the cluster to stay warm. SHB's adapt to our local climate just like us. I have sit in front of my hives at dusk and watched SHB land and walk right in to a strong hive. I have seen some bees carry them off of the top bars only to fly right back in the front, but most ignore them. I smash them and install traps if I see more than 2-3.
    RV 10, nice... How long did it take you to build??

I have tried Beetle Blasters,swiffer pads,Bottom board oil traps,Beetle Barns and cd cases. Beetle blasters were the worst and nastiest to use.The others all did fair.The biggest killer was when I made up my own beetle poison for the cd cases.I first used Combat and it killed beetles good but became expensive.Then pollen substitute with a little honey and water to thin it.It killed beetles also.Then I added enough apple cider vinegar to where I could smell it good.Now thats good beetle killer.The vinegar really draws them inside the cd cases.That stuff eliminates them quickly.The only problem is that cd cases are flimsy and you have to be careful with them but they are cheap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12