Small Hive Beetles from Hell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Small Hive Beetles from Hell

Okay, it's not that bad...yet.

I didn't think they would be a problem this early, but apparently, they overwintered with my bees. In the hive, I saw quite a few. There was no evidence of SHB larva (I didn't get into the bottom brood box though) and nothing in the top box was slimmed, but I don't want them to get stronger.

I tried this DIY thing a youtuber recommended where you spray aluminum flashing with Never Wet and install it between the bottom board and the bottom brood box. It doesn't seem to make a difference. I have hive beetle traps (2 in each deep), and they are collecting quite a few, but not enough.

I've seen them get trapped in swiffer duster pads. Can I place them at the entrance or will the bees get stuck too? Does it work to sprinkle diatomaceous earth around the hives? I've also heard of people using nematodes....

They are in partial sun--line of tress at their back so they get morning and afternoon sun but are shielded from evening--in a kind of weedy area. The grass is kept short around them, but it mostly wild.

How do you control SHB?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Small Hive Beetles from Hell

The only thing I found that was reliable was a bottom oil trap. I just spilled the disposable traps and they never had beetles in them. I'm not keen on the idea of putting cases with poison in either.

I have started to watched the "never wet" video several times and have not figured out exactly what he is doing or why it would work. What I understand is that it is to keep them out, not remove them once in.

I have read that salt around/under the hives is the best to get them in the ground. I suspect that DE would just blow away or work in and be ineffective.

chickens under the hives help mine out a great deal, and I use a beetle pad I got from a bee supplier in the top box as my bees seem to corner them near the ceiling. They fill up pretty well
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

I went through the trapping the SHB with all the traps and even invented a couple of new ones. I then was given a colony that had been in the shade for five years, that had been left behind by a pollinator, the boxes were falling apart, there were hundreds of SHB and about thirty thousand bees, but no beetle larvae, even though it was mid summer. I took the colony home and placed it in full sun, after a week I could only find a half dozen beetles. Now days I don't worry at all about SHB, I keep the colonies strong and in full sun.

They are from hell. There's a reason they look like the scarab beetles in The Mummy.

I hadn't heard of salt. How much does it take. I've been thinking about the nematodes.

I can only say that nematodes _should_ work, and that you'll have to try it to know. Some folks use landscape cloth and rocks under their hives to deny the larvae any chance to pupate. That's what the nematodes do, too, but they eat the larvae rather than dehydrate/starve them. Our beekeepers assn. ordered from Southeastern Insectaries last year, and I heard no complaints, nor had any myself. You would probably find yourself ahead by buying one of the Freeman beetle traps and trying it out.

Of course, if the neverwet flange works, you could just put that over a screened bottom board with screen large enough for the beetles to get through. (But that _does_ seem to work both ways....) Perhaps it just depends upon whether they fly inside the colony. If they only crawl when inside and even crawl to get there, then they can't get off the bottom board.

You have a couple of things you can try. If you do that and report back, you'll have done a public service and learned something in the process.
    "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong." (heard often from the late David Sebree) Still making them, myself

I caught more bees with Swiffer pads than I did beetles, though they do seem to work for some folks. I'm trying bottom boards with oil traps this year, so hopefully that'll make a big difference. I've used nematodes without any noticeable effect, so now I begrudgingly use Gardstar around my hives.

The biggest thing that works for me is to spend as much time as needed hunting and killing SHB on the outer and inner covers every time I open a hive. As long as your bees are chasing them up to the top of the hive, you can knock down a good percentage of them every time you're in the hive.

My next step is to move my hives to a full sun location; but that won't likely happen this season.

I sprinkle a box of rock salt (the kind used for making ice cream) under my hives once a year. It kills weeds and prevents the SHB from pupating.

Quote Originally Posted by f650cs View Post
    I sprinkle a box of rock salt (the kind used for making ice cream) under my hives once a year. It kills weeds and prevents the SHB from pupating.
    Any particular time of year that you suggest for maximum effectiveness?
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

If you've got SHB issues it is partly because you're giving the bees too much space. Keep em strong my friends.
    You have to flirt with swarming but again...hives dense with bees will manage SHB on their own here in Central Illinois.
    South of me? Not so sure.

North Missouri is at or around the same latitude as where I am so I guess it could go either way.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

I cannot personally vouch for them as we so far dodged SHB in our area...but Dine A Max towels placed on the top bars of the hive are supposed to trap SHB as well. The idea being the bees chew them up but then the fibres trap the SHB who try to hide in the towels.

Has anyone tried trapping outside of the hives? I noticed my community feeders had a lot of beetles at them last year. They were around 100 yards from the hives. The beetles were up underneath them living in the debris that had accumulated. It made me wonder if the beetles could be attracted and poisoned away from the hives.

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrightjr View Post
    Has anyone tried trapping outside of the hives? .....
    I've seen several threads about this and basically they'd take the bucket feeder and freeze it at night. They had several they would rotate out.
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Quote Originally Posted by R_V View Post
    I've seen several threads about this and basically they'd take the bucket feeder and freeze it at night. They had several they would rotate out.
    Thanks. I've managed to miss those. Any ideas on efficacy?

no, sorry
    Started April Fools Day 2017

I don't have a big issue here but mine are easily controlled with Beetle Blasters filled with oil. I only fill them up 25% to avoid spilling.
    Local Carniolan Bees. All medium configuration.

#1 Preventative Care after a deadout or being slimed is to treat the grade under and around the hive or hives about 5-6 ft out with salt or a pesticide drench.
    If any beetles that come out of the ground, the 1st nice home they smell is right back into the hives. And they fly as good as a bee.
    Best just to keep salt or drench year round under the colonies.

I use epdm pond liner under my hives, immediately under, and for a couple of feet front and back of the stand. I use hens for the rest. Salt would kill the tree roots under that area, and pesticides would probably kill my chickens. My hives are actually in full sun. If I see 3 or 4 beetles it's a bad infestation. I like the beetle clothes. I gather I could use swiffers, but these are working and I have enough to run a year or 2 without buying more
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

I agree with aunt betty. Several years ago one of my hives had a slimed frame. My kneejerk reaction was to buy a bunch of beetle traps (the kind that you put between 2 frames and the beetles fall into the oil. I later realized that that box had nectar stored but very few bees. For the past 3 years I have not put a single trap on.

I make sure that wherever there are stored nectar/pollen or where there are brood there is also a large population of bees. I often see hive beetles, but at least where I am, they cannot get a serious foothold to mess things up.

I usually sprinkle the rock salt during early spring,
    it when the weeds start appearing, like right now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast